free hit
counters
Looking to join the ranks! - Introductions - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Looking to join the ranks!

Afternoon all!

Just thought i'd get a very eager headstart and introduce myself on here!

I'm a bit of a car-whore, having had a Porsche 924S, Smart Roadster (remapped...dont mock! :D), VX220 Turbo Stage 2, a 2.0 Litre Westfield, and a BMW 2009 3.0 Z4. Three of those vehicles are still sat on the drive, and i'm looking at combining all three into one...specifically in the shape of an Evora :D

I'm looking at getting into an Evora in the weeks/months, and being a bit of a car-obsessed loonie, I know how incredibly vital forums and communities can be. Having trawled through the majority of the threads (I like my research :D) I feel fairly confident in the basics as to warranty work, the weak points, the bits to look out for, and the specifications available. However, I also know that many of you have 'gone in for seconds' when it comes to Evoras, having had one or even two before your current ones which bodes well for the car...but maybe not the earlier models.

So the question is this: What should I look out for on the test drive? I know of knocking bushes and so on, however is there anything else someone should be weary about?

And if you had a budget of say....£35,000; would you get yourself an MY10 N/A, MY10 S, OR stack a bit more for either an MY12 NA or MY12 S?

I have myself a testdrive of a range of models this weekend, but having had the VX220 Turbo, I know the difference a simple engine can make to how a car behaves (and the odd change to suspension here and there too ofcourse).

Simply put; i'm fearful that the earlier models are really not up to muster... But is that just internet rumour, and are those who currently own early models happy with them?

Sorry for such a confuddle of questions; but after trawling through every youtube review imaginable, you guys are next on the list ;)

Regards

Kal

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's officially done! After very little persuasion, I can now officially say my car is a Lotus! (Gone are the days of claiming my Vauxhall VX220 was a Lotus....Ahem!)   Evora N/A 2010 Manual, with s

I wouldn't, it's a Toyota drivetrain built on aluminium wrapped in something that can't rust! It's also hand built by passionate and proud people. Have your cake and eat it :-)

Nice colour Kier...! Have fun shopping Tom

Are you going to use it everyday in the UK?

Running costs an issue?

If you're using it everyday I'd buy an NA as the extra power whilst nice isn't essential particularly on the UK roads... Subjective and just my taste, I don't see the point in massive power on UK roads .. Handling and brakes for me :-)

If it's a weekend jolly I'd buy an S and not worry about the extra cost because it isn't huge if your miles are low.

If you can afford the MY12 then go for it because there's a big jump in quality (apparently!). But try both, my 2010 doesn't rattle and apart from the Sat NAV freezing up from time to time it's a great car with no real quality issues!

I'd recommend Bell & Colvill. Customer service there is excellent.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

Cheers,

A ;-)

Are you going to use it everyday in the UK?

Running costs an issue?

If you're using it everyday I'd buy an NA as the extra power whilst nice isn't essential particularly on the UK roads... Subjective and just my taste, I don't see the point in massive power on UK roads .. Handling and brakes for me :-)

If it's a weekend jolly I'd buy an S and not worry about the extra cost because it isn't huge if your miles are low.

If you can afford the MY12 then go for it because there's a big jump in quality (apparently!). But try both, my 2010 doesn't rattle and apart from the Sat NAV freezing up from time to time it's a great car with no real quality issues!

I'd recommend Bell & Colvill. Customer service there is excellent.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

Cheers,

A ;-)

Not generally an issue, but personally I'd like to avoid any hefty costs if there's a potential pitfall to know about.

Interesting view regarding the NA; I've recently come to the same thought; NA IPS. Keeping in mind though that I do love my manual boxes. But hearing some of the quality issues, IPS sounds like a good option.

Thanks for the info on your MY10 :) useful to know.

Not looked recently but £35k seems low for a MY12 and very low for a MY S.

Apologies; I wasn't overly clear. 35k for an MY10 NA. My question was (in effect) if folks had their choice again, would they use the budget available on an MY10, or hold fire a little while and get the MY12 model? Does the MY12 have such a big increase in quality that it's worth an extra £10k or so?

http://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/evora-reloaded/

Those are all the improvements which went into the MY12.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

N/A IPS is not that common

MY12 is more than just a cosmetic improvement with a lot of other under the skin improvements as well

There is a bit of a gap between pre MY12 cars and MY12 cars in terms of price though

MY12 N/A are very rare

Regardless of year/age, I don't think I've heard much about people selling their cars due to any issues or niggles.  Even with the older cars, the pleasure far outweighs any pain.  They're a joy to drive and own :) 

Thanks for the replies so far chaps. I am even more undecided now on model and specification! I've upped the anti and test-driving a 2010 NA IPS tomorrow; 40k miles though. They all seem to be around the 20k mark still on the majority. Should I be worried do you think, in regards to warranty, and so on?

Kier - I have a favour...do you have a link to a video of your Evora at all? I used to have a Larini backbox on my VX220T, and dying to hear it on an Evora! :D

MY10 NA here. I paid £33k from a dealer with a warranty 13 months ago. in that time I've added 10k miles (up to 34k now) and not a single thing has gone wrong, it's only been back for a service and MOT. Quality may not be up to German standards, but nothing has broken or fallen off and I've been in similar age BMW's with more squeaks and rattles!

MY12 NA's seem non-existent (I don't ever recall seeing one for sale) and MY12 S are £40k++ The gear change in the MY10 isn't the best, but upgrades were available (MY12 retro fit cables) which improved them a lot. I've not driven an IPS but they do seem to get good reviews, and given the manual change isn't great, it could be a good option.

The NA is plenty fast enough for road use. Like most NA cars you need to rev it to get at the performance, but if you do it's genuinely rapid and makes a lovely noise in the process!

Clutches are the only scary cost that I'm aware of (about £3k) but if you do go IPS, you don't need to worry about that.

Thanks for the replies so far chaps. I am even more undecided now on model and specification! I've upped the anti and test-driving a 2010 NA IPS tomorrow; 40k miles though. They all seem to be around the 20k mark still on the majority. Should I be worried do you think, in regards to warranty, and so on?

Kier - I have a favour...do you have a link to a video of your Evora at all? I used to have a Larini backbox on my VX220T, and dying to hear it on an Evora! :D

I wouldn't, it's a Toyota drivetrain built on aluminium wrapped in something that can't rust!

It's also hand built by passionate and proud people.

Have your cake and eat it :-)

• Like 1

You really arent helping me keep my wallet in the pocket Rouge....I might refuse to take the card to the test drive tomorrow, and hope I dont run out of petrol, purely to stop any impulses.

Thanks for the feedback all.

• Gold FFM

One thing I'd suggest, pull Back the wheel arch liner and check the brackets behind the mudflaps have not rusted away, and check the bottom of the front brackets which protrude from under the wheel arch liners at the front. I have replaced the rears on mine and rust proofed the front ones.

Not a particularly difficult job and inexpensive, but a few hours work and if you can get the dealer to sort so much the better.

My n/a also has about 35k on it, other than the above, aircon regas and servicing all expenditure has been "voluntary".

Try a 2bular. I have one on mine and not too far from you if you want a listen.

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Not sure if these will work for you unless you are on facebook?

just me on this one

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152079460201615

I'm on this at about 24 seconds

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152855033109377

Edited by Kier

On facebook, but still cant access. Is it 'annoying' on loud drives? Or still tolerable?

Colin; i'll certainly take you up on that offer at a later date. I always ALWAYS rush my purchases and i'm attempting to learn my lesson this time around! So would be good to pick your brains in person too :P I'll PM you at some point :) Thanks!

Not at all annoying, the sound proofing on the Evora is as you'd expect on a modern car, so with the windows closed you don' hear it much.   But I often put the window down a bit before I pull away :) 

Sorry you can't see the videos, do neither of them work?  I'll see if I can grab them from the peoples facebook pages and upload to youtube 

Ah, see that would be the difference between a Vauxhall-designed Lotus-built sports car (just imagine the build quality of that!) and a premium lotus :P

Sadly neither work :'(

• Gold FFM

3rd Sunday each month there is a meet at Newlands corner. (Check under SLEGS region). I am usually there and Tom is usually there.

Mine has a 6inch 2bular with decat (the actual pipe on Jims website) Toms is an S with standard exhaust, but decatted, which also sounds nice, but a bit quieter.

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Right here you go Tom, fingers crossed these should work as I've added to youtube.....

drive past

another drive past (at 24 seconds)

onboard with the window open slightly

Edited by Kier

Welcome to TLF Tom :welcome:

Best of luck with finding the right one for you.

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

ps. I shifted your topic into the Introductions area

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Hi Tom and welcome.

I saw a 09 plate (I think) NA for sale on E-bay yesterday at £27995. For that money I don't care about MY12 improvements!

I drove the NA way back when it first came out and I loved it (I had an Exige S at the time). Yes the Gearbox could have done with being a little better and I would always add a Sports Exhaust to get the noise you want from a sports car. But for the money, there's a not a lot out there that can meet the performance figures, ride and handling and overall smile factor.

What ever you decise on, enjoy!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

You really arent helping me keep my wallet in the pocket Rouge....I might refuse to take the card to the test drive tomorrow, and hope I dont run out of petrol, purely to stop any impulses.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Let us know how the test drive goes? I bought mine within 48 hours!