free hit
counters
Shonky panel - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
GerardJPC

Shonky panel

Just how shonky is this, eh?  I cleaned it up with white spirit and some so called posh dash cleaner, but it still looks well rubbish.   

Before and after pics -  spot the difference.  Two of the switches aren't on straight, but don't seem to want to move.  

post-17883-0-82757400-1413304308.jpg

post-17883-0-53205200-1413304309.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

To be honest it's a better layout than on the early car's. What material is the mounting panel made from? it may be a big job but maybe removing it all and respraying it or vinyl coating it would work better. This would allow you to sort out the twisted switches too.

shonky?

The panel seems to be covered with some some sort of leatherette nonsense, the rest of the car being swathed in black and grey tweediness.

post-17883-0-78571600-1413318402.jpg

post-17883-0-11180700-1413318411.jpg

I have the same interior and centre dash panel, its made of steel plate covered in vinyl.

If you want to remove it:

you need to remove the gear knob and gaiter, take the radio out, pull out the two air vents (held in by spring clips) by giving them a good tug or push out from in the radio hole, then feel inside the vent holes and there are two 10mm nuts(or is it 8mm?), one either side (a small spanner inside the panel works), and the top is held by two folded metal tabs.

I would say yours has already been out before as it should have a thin alloy surround like the glove box, this just fell to pieces on mine.

on my S2 Riviera the surface is different... it is seems to me, that your have got a cover or sth like that? The plastic himself has some structure... in direction of leather or heat shrink appearance. But it is only all in all a thin 1layer-panel

EDIT: ... I would have guessed... but reading the comment of Paul, I have to investigate it further

Edited by Don.Hasi

Hi Gerade , You could try some black wax polish it covers a multitude of sins also good for door handles and all black bits of trim

cheers  Ian

I'll give it a go, thanks.  I am not sure that I CBA to take the panel out and realign the switches.    The choice of switches by tightwad Chapman and Co was, I think, poor.  The switches on my base model 1978 Lancia are posher than the Eclat ones. 

Shonky means, well, shonky. 

Shonky (noun) - slang term for not very well made, not great in appearance or functionality, of low quality

I agree and am redoing my dash... photo's soon.

I'll give it a go, thanks.  I am not sure that I CBA to take the panel out and realign the switches.    The choice of switches by tightwad Chapman and Co was, I think, poor.  The switches on my base model 1978 Lancia are posher than the Eclat ones. 

on my S2 Riviera the surface is different... it is seems to me, that your have got a cover or sth like that? The plastic himself has some structure... in direction of leather or heat shrink appearance. But it is only all in all a thin 1layer-panel

EDIT: ... I would have guessed... but reading the comment of Paul, I have to investigate it further

Have checked it twice. In mine is only a 1layer-panel and it seems not to be glued on.

Mine looks like it was done by a class of bone idle four year olds with some gluesticks and attention deficit disorder.*

* Knowing Lotus, it probably was.

to be honest... it seems to me that one of the PO have done it.... sth more S1 lookalike with the chrome all around and another has ripped the chrome of.

I suspect dodgy wiring behind the panel.  Are the switches supposed to be illuminated when the lights are on?  Only the fan and heater dials light up at present.    The only telltale that is working is for the rear demister (unlike the demister itself).     No courtesy light at present, either. 

Shonky ?, that looks like Rolls Royce standard compared to the console in my S1 Elite :lol: