free hit
counters
Cant Rail - rubber seal or not for the s1? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Cant Rail - rubber seal or not for the s1?

Going to put the cant rail trim back on soon. The manual shows a rubber seal between the cant rail and the body. The part is available from S and J sportscars. Did the Esprit s1 have the black rubber seal fitted, as I can't see it in any old pictures?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not even sure what a cant rail is!!

I'm too old now to worry about showing my ignorance in public :harhar:

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I actually am showing my ignorance! I meant finisher, the cant rails on the inside. The rubber seal I mean is at the top in the picture between the body and finisher. Thought I had heard it referred to as cant rail before? Ps Paul, think I will fit two electric horns as they're good value on ebay and the compressor will draw too much current.post-17315-0-17423400-1413316463.jpg

Mine had no sealant between the finisher and body.

Gotta love those 'cantrail clips' as Lotus called them. The rest of us call them plumbing fittings :)

My car had the snail type horns and they look original to me.

The seal I was referring to is sold by S and J. It is black and is shown in cross section at the top of the finisher. It's not sealant but a rubber seal which runs the length of the finisher. Not sure if this part was added later after the s1, as cannot see the black seal on S1 pictures?

I have no idea what you're talking about!!! The plastic seal at the top of the finisher is silver and runs the entire length of the finisher. The black seal at the bottom of the finisher is the door rubber seal.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Sorry to hijack the thread but are you guys referring to the capping rails that fit on the roof line of the car?

On the s2 there is a plastic strip with chrome that covers the gap between the capping rail and roof line.

Not sure if this is the same for an s1

Vin Taylor

or are you guys referring to part number 13?

VA.gif

If so there is no sealant between the Cantrail and the body .. it looks like it is indicating to put sealant between the Capping rail and the body on the exterior of the car.  The sealant looks like it should be applied to the underside of the capping rail whilst (on the s2) the car has a finishing chrome trim to cover the gap between the top of the capping rail and the body :)

Hope this helps :)

The capping rail is part number 23 on this diagram and the capping rail trim is part number 24

BA.gif

Vin Taylor

Thanks Vin, my fault - that's cleared it up for me, the finisher is also called the capping rail. On S and J s website it looks black because of how the picture is taken, but it's silver trim. It's the capping I meant to refer to and not the cant rail! So the my question should have been has the S 1 got a silver capping rail, which Paul has answered. Thanks all. Will only cost me £150!!!!!!

Hi Fabian,

The capping rail trim is £14.71.. how did you get to £150?

CAPPING RAIL TRIM
image.png
hintsntips.png
SJ079U0009 EACH 14.71

The black things you are seeing on the website are actuall the internal Cantrails that haven't been covered with the headlining material

Vin Taylor