free hit
counters
Battery trickle charger - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CTEK are very good too, that's what I use.

Posted Images

CTEK are very good too, that's what I use.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Guest Mutley00

You dont need to spend alot Paul - you are wasting your money as they are not that complicated a device. The Aldi one currently on sale at £13.99 is more than sufficient (Its German after all!) - I've been using them for 10 years plus without a malfunction.

+1 on the Aldi.  3 year guarantee as well.  My previous one did 4 years before packing up  but at that price I am not to bothered.

......another 1+ for the Aldi's............they have more or less the same electronic loading principle/scheme of the average CTECK ones; I use them since 15-20 years already.

I have 6 of them; 3 for my cars and 2 for my motorbikes and 1spare unit, however the lifetime of some of the Aldi's are over 10 years, so the spare one is waiting and waiting.........

In all those years I had only 1 unit failing after a couple of years.

The only minus of all trickle-chargers is that if you hang them on full time (100%), the lifetime of your batteries is less than compared to a daily used car (this is generally known) ............in my case the lifetime for these constant trickeled/loaded batteries in general turned out to be 5 years.

For two of my cars I have a fuse protected female 12 volt plug connected directly to the battery and mounted in the frontspoiler.......for the Esprit I mounted the plug in the rear fender (all female plugs with integrated water cover).

I do not have to open hoods etc. Each Aldi tricklecharger has his own male plug. Plugs can purchased at car- and caravanshops. If your car is parked on your driveway you can extend the 12 volt electric wires and eventually hide them partly in the earth. I mounted a "break" connection in each circuit (close to the car) in case you forget to draw the plug before you drive away (happened 2 times already).

Edited by Ruud

I have two Ctek's from the middle of their program. One 10 years old and one two years old, same model. Same stuff, just a bit more led's to indicare what the currest function is. Like desulfating etc.

Don't use it on a Shorai battery, otherwise you'll be fine.

I prefer the better ones and pay it only once.

They both Work flawslessly, and saved me from potentioal big time trouble, when there was a shortcut in a big garage where I had my car at a certain time, and the electrical installation shorted. No probs. The Ctek just cut connection andn returned to normal operation when possible. Btw. I bought both at two individual sale occations with 8 years in between, so no need to pay full Price.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I just bought one at Lidl the other day, but I've heard that people fry their Esprit ECU's by having them trickle charging with the battery connected, at least on the V8. Is there any truth to this?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I just turn my battery master switch off. Often from October to May; always starts up fine.....battery is so old I can't remember when i bought it; think it has to be more than 10 years, and probably nearer 15. Never had any maintenance or charging!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Yup, for about 15 mins after you start it back up. No long term worry.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I use a solar panel version I got from Maplin. This way I can take it with me any where I go and doesn't require any mains power supply. I got the 13 watt power version: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/13w-solar-briefcase-n00cx It's great that older cars have a live 12 volt supply cigar lighter, otherwise doesn't work well on modern cars.

My car sits outside all the time under a carport, but I've only ever had the car not start if it's been a very long time not using it, or the winter has been very cold like snow. About 99% of the time it stops the car from not starting, mine just sits on the passenger seat, also it works in any light, not just bright sunlight, even the outdoor PIR lights will make it work.

I use Ctek chargers. No problems with them. Last winter I bought a cheap charger from Lidl and used it with Evora. The battery died and cars dash was like christmas three. I will newer use that charger anymore.

I've been using "battery Tenders" brand on a few cars and they've never had any issues. I also used a $10 off brand unit which performed just as well, but failed after a few years.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

If you're in the US, Harbor Motor Freight has float chargers for $9.99. I bought 3 a few years ago, 2 for my camper van and one for the lawn tractor. No more disconnecting and removing the batteries. Everything starts right up in the spring after very cold winters.

image_20349.jpg

Paul, not seen any mention of whether you use the more common lead acid or an AGM battery like the Odyssey. Many chargers not suitable for AGM - e.g. Halfords mention theirs are not. Odyssey states trickle between 13.5 and 13.8 volts. My quite satisfactory Halfords standard charger gives 13.2 volts- been fine for lead acid on several cars for five years. For my Odyssey PC680 I use a CTEK MXS 3.8. Suspect a higher current one needed for larger AGM capacities. Tried out on a lead acid once and seemed fine, but no real experience.

That's the $10 one I had!  Used it on a Optima AGM Yellow Top for several years and worked like a charm - battery lasted 8 years.

If you're in the US, Harbor Motor Freight has float chargers for $9.99. I bought 3 a few years ago, 2 for my camper van and one for the lawn tractor. No more disconnecting and removing the batteries. Everything starts right up in the spring after very cold winters.

image_20349.jpg

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

For your information: one of my Lidl chargers is connected for years already to an AGM battery (Exide Deep Cycle) and the charging performs excellent (have a constant connected precision voltmeter in my car)...........

exideyznf7i8bha.jpg