free hit
counters
Any thoughts on a decent DSLR? - Photography Matters - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Any thoughts on a decent DSLR?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have a Pentax K-30 for just over a year and I'm very happy with it.  It came with a 18-55mm Lens and I've bought an additional Sigma 70-300.

I still have my ME-Super and ME-F - although I cannot remember the last time I used them.

Chris

Before you buy keep an eye on this website :)

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Pentax

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Cheers... that's food for thought! 

Budget's flexible but preferably around £500ish. Do I need 24 mexapixels? I see a number of the Nikons and Canons are whereas the Pentax P50 is a mere 16. 

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

More pixels means you can print and show bigger pictures without loss of resolution, but if you never print/display anything above say about 1920x1080 then even 10 megapixels is actually quite sufficient. Its not the technology that makes good pictures but the skill of the photographer in taking the shot and in post-production developing. People get hung up on having big numbers.

When you take a big pixel size image and you show it online by shrinking it with compression you lose information anyway.

I bought my K-5 for about £320 after the import duties were added, that was just the body. It had only been used for about a couple of thousand shutter actuations and they are generally good for 100k. Got a 100-300 mM zoom lens of ebay for £85 and a 18-55mM lens for about £30 too.

A review http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk5

Gotcha, there's a slim chance I may finally complete some arty projects with big images so perhaps 24 is the way forward.

The Pentax range appeals though, you can even order the P50 in custom colours.... metallic dark green body with yellow grip anyone?  :smoke:

http://colors-k50.ricoh-imaging.eu/#1850

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

It's not just the pixels it's the size of the sensor, some are full frame some arn't

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-frame_digital_SLR

If you buy a used dslr you need to check it's counter for useage.

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

For no other reason, other than because I can say it....... And am a bit tipsy.....

The last time I had a DSLR in my hands it was at a primary school children's sports day, an it was lucky it had the Zoom lense, as I spent the duration down the far end of the hall; taking naughty shoys of he teachers asses.....!!!!

Some of them were fine ASS...!!!!!!

Chunky Lover

Wifey's getting some great image from the Nikon D3200. It's a 24Mp, and the low light handling and depth of colour reproduction is outstanding. Also compact enough for her to find very comfortable.

Bundled with kit 18-55 and 55-200 iirc came to under £400 from Digitalrev in HK.

Great service, tracked DHL delivery here in 48 hours.

Oh, and you can get it in red...

That's good to know... I looked at the D3200, then mission creep set in... the 7100 looks amazing but then I saw the Pentax K3, no Lotus colours but the spec is amazing. I figured I'd pop along to an old fashioned camera shoppe and actually see a couple.

The Nikons weren't very user friendly. I struggled with the menus. Chose the canon 70D last month. So easy to use plus a touch screen on the back which makes it soooo easy to navigate. The boys in the office were so impressed they've each bought a 70D as well. And they were nikon dslr guys previously.

Took this shot a couple of weeks back with the 70D, Impressive.post-41-0-49081100-1413888392.jpg

• Like 1

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017