free hit
counters
Steering notchy after rebuild - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
brianc

Steering notchy after rebuild

Having a few problems after replacing both the intermediate and lower UJs in my 1988 Esprit.

Turning the steering wheel with the wheels off the ground it does not feel smooth. Instead it's rather notchy.  I don't remember it being like that when I started the rebuild.

I have aligned the UJs as per the manual but is there something else I could have missed?

In order to clear the chassis, the lower UJ is quite high up the steering box shaft, could that have anything to do with it?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sounds like the U-joints are binding still.

Did you still have the spacer tube under the bottom u-joint?  Without that , the u-joint can be too low/high and cause problems.

Did you make sure the rack/pinion doesn't have any corrosion?

Mine was notchy too after the rebuild but that goes away - this I believe stemmed from the rack itself, which is extremely hard to turn by hand after a refurbishment.

As Travis has pointed out check that the UJ's aren't fouling anywhere. Ensure that the rack splines protrude minimally through the lower UJ as per the illustration in the service notes.

Uj bolt are probably fowling somewhere.  There is naff all clearance and if you have fitted a new ( longer bolt) its probably clipping something as it goes round.

Mine was notchy too after the rebuild but that goes away - this I believe stemmed from the rack itself, which is extremely hard to turn by hand after a refurbishment.

As Travis has pointed out check that the UJ's aren't fouling anywhere. Ensure that the rack splines protrude minimally through the lower UJ as per the illustration in the service notes.

Interesting about minimal protrusion.  At the moment the splines are below the level of the UJ (if that makes sense).  If I mesh the UJ further down the splined shaft of the rack the bolt (which is the same length as the one I removed) the bolt fouls the chassis.

Maybe from what you have said it is the case that I do have the UJ too high as suggested by Travis (Vulcan grey).  So I'll see if I can find a way of lowering it without fouling.

Working the next couple of days so it will be Friday before I can investigate further.

Here's mine after rebuild. U-joint was all the way down against the black spacer tube.

rack%2520housing.JPG

Also,  If you somehow re-indexed the U-joint so that the aligns to the spline in the wrong way, then it can bind.

Thanks for the picture. If I mount the lower UJ up against the rubber spacer the splined shaft protrudes around 5mm into the UJ section itself. I assume that is ok? I was worried that it might foul under heavy suspension movement.

I wouldn't worry about 5 mm.... but you'll notice rather quickly if something is fouling. 

Following your advice I moved the lower UJ so that it butted up against the rubber spacer in the rack. It almost cleared the chassis but the unlock nut catches. However the notchiness is gone. Looking at the new UJ it is a pattern part and is thicker so I've had to grind it down a bit so that the nut clears the chassis.

Thanks for the help with this guys. Much appreciated.