free hit
counters
Fuel pressure problem. - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Andyww

Fuel pressure problem.

I mentioned this on another thread but thought I would start a new one as I am rather baffled by this.

The problem I have is exactly the same after changing the fuel pressure regulator which seems not to be the problem after all.

The carb float chambers are filling correctly. But I connected a gauge into one of the carb feeds and getting no reading at all, either when idling or stopped. The pump is making the right noise but there is a loud whistle, which is coming from the return pipe from the bottom of the regulator. I have tried adjusting the screw up and down and this changes the whistle but no pressure reading at any setting. 

Disconnecting the return pipe and diverting into a jar shows a large amount of fuel being returned and I can also hear it sloshing into the tank so the pump is pumping.

I have also changed the carb needle valves and checked the float heights.

Any ideas welcome!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Oops I think I might have found the problem!

I might just have the flow and return to the regulator swapped over.  :huh:

I will need to investigate this but if someone could confirm this would be great: Does the rubber hose which joins to the metal pipe running down the chassis go to the bottom or side of the regulator?

The other connection is a braided hose which runs all the way down the chassis. I had assumed this was the flow but likely wrong.

OK from the parts list I deduced it was connected backwards. All OK now.

Interesting that this was connected backwards before I replaced the regulator as well. Looks like this happened sometime during the previous ownership of the car.

At least I didnt waste money on the new regulator as someone had snapped off the mounting tab from it so it was worth replacing it. 

well done simple when you know how but it's all in the knowing how running well now have you been out with it.

andy b

Andy, not quite yet but getting close. I bought this car knowing it had issues and this is one of the major ones fixed though. 

Its going now. I have added a couple of pics in the Esprit Picture thread.

Still need to fix a large gearbox oil leak which doesnt seem to be the rear cover and commission the A/C