free hit
counters
s3 turbo esprit white out edition no3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

s3 turbo esprit white out edition no3

NR2k

So our new purchase is safely tucked up in the garage. Its a 1984 s3 turbo esprit in white and it says white out edition no3 on the side. Does anybody know anything about this edition?

It seems to have an hc engine though we need to investigate this further.

Needs an engine rebuild, and we have yet to investigate what other mechanical gremlins may be lurking under the pristine bodywork and interior. Cant stop smiling its great to have it home. Now to get it back on the road. Any recommendations for somebody to do the engine work?

The previous owner showed it in the midlands area in the 2000-04 period, and paul matty seems to have worked on it in the late 90s, does anybody know how far paul's records go back?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Congrats on getting her home.

I've been around this place for a very long time now and never heard of that as a special edition?

As far as engine work goes, without exception, Gary Kemp is your guru, next on my list would be the guys at Lotus Bits, they've got some very highly tuned NAs in their rally cars and know their way around the engine very well.

Gary Kemp often has engines on the shelf ready to go on an exchange basis and if yours is definitely running a HC engine it's unlikely to be the original so keeping the factory original matching numbers is no longer an option, that is unless the block was modified for the alloy liners, which although possible, is unlikely.

Looking forward to pictures, so please get some up on this post ASAP! :D

Chunky Lover

I second the recommendation of Gerald @ GST.  He got my Esprit back on the road in what seemed no time at all after a 10+ year hibernation.

Any photos?

Chris

Mine went though Paul Matty's in c. '92... I spoke to Roy to see if they could shed any light, but their records don't go back that far - by 2000 they may have been computerised, so good luck with that,

and I third the motion for some pics!

Hi Nicola

Nice looking car - good colour too. While I like the colour coded bumpers and mirrors, not so sure about the louvres. Colour coding came in in 1985, so I am fairly sure that yours (like mine) didn't come out of the factory that way.

I haven't heard of a White Out edition - the badges look a bit stuck on.

Hope to see the car in the flesh some time.

Chris

Gerald at GST Performance in Newmarket. Doesn't advertise, doesn't need to. He's that good..

There is a white esprit with white louvres in the Jeremy Walton book on Esprits but I've never heard of a white out edition.

Just looked in the Jeremy Walton book at the White out car.  Reg is B370VYY.  Interior is different colour though.  Radio aerial on the wrong side too.

Only painted louvres I know of was the 21 special edition cars in either 2 tone red or 2 tone grey.

Write to this man Graham, Andy [AGraham@lotuscars.com]   he should be able to tell you all about it.

Can you do some close up of the wheels? The look like they have split rim bolts but I think they are the normal BBS ones?

Exactly the same thoughts when I saw them yesterday. Fake split rims :)

Still the car looks loverly

What's those marks on the bonnet?

Chunky Lover

My 1982 Turbo also has white bumpers and louvres, which someone has had done at some point. I am planning to put them back to black.

Maybe its just me being a pedantic tw*t but, so many people on here refer to these cars as "S3 Turbo". Perhaps its because I grew up with them but I remember the fanfare when the Turbo Esprit was launched and then later when the Esprit S3 was launched, which replaced the 2.2. There never was an S3 Turbo, they are 2 different models.

Andy I suppose with turbo esprit you then have to diferentiate which version you are talking about. Pedantic yes but i stand corrected.

I dont think the rear lourves are the standard ones just painted. They seem thicker material I think.

Going to drain out petrol now before the fumes leaking into the garage cause a problem. :-)

Edited by NR2k

I like my 'S3 TURBO' :D with colour coded bumpers and mirrors but black louvers.

Luckily that's how mine is supposed to be. With the number of painted bumpers, tailgates and mirrors it looks like it was a very popular choice aftermarket!

Still no one has heard of a White Out Edition, and it's strange, if they made up the badges as a one off, why choose the number 3??? Don't get that bit....

Chunky Lover

Andy I suppose with turbo esprit you then have to diferentiate which version you are talking about. Pedantic yes but i stand corrected.

No, there is only one Turbo Esprit. This defines the car completely. No later model was called the Turbo Esprit.

This is one of the distinctive features of our cars, they say "Turbo Esprit" in big letters on the sides. Later models (after the Turbo Esprit HC) were called Esprit Turbo or X180 or whatever else.

I dont want my car to be referred-to as an S3 even if its followed by Turbo :) Its a Turbo Esprit, end of :)

S3 Turbo is rather like saying Fiat Ferrari

• Like 1

Yep agreed - I think the 'extras' are just self made add-on's to make the queries like we have been having here .................

Walton's book on the Esprit does have an all-white Esprit IIRC including the wheels. I presume you could spec what you wanted from the factory if you had the cash. Gone to alot of trouble though and if those are made-up split rims fakes those do actually look quite good! Not sure about the face in the bonnet though! Very Duran Duran!

Nearly finished picking off the random vinyl decals, that face was just scary. As expected though lots and lots of mechanical jobs that need doing. Also the elise has decided to play up with electrical gremlins just as we thought there was nothing left to go wrong with that. The joys of lotus ownership....

• Like 1