free hit
counters
Mazda MX5 headlamp conversion. Working drawing for Elite 75? - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Mazda MX5 headlamp conversion. Working drawing for Elite 75?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wire it all up with red wire, (waste not want not), It will certainly be a nightmare if it goes t*** up in the future though.

How did the angle iron bracketry work? was it successful?

A friend of mine mounted his motors without any brackets onto the wooden rad suport. He says he is going to list his method here eventually.

Big thanks to Clive for giving me the nod on the live feed off the starter motor, that worked straight off the bat. Still a few questions though... do I use a second relay with separate live feed to link the second motor or do I wire all into the one relay? Dixi, my angle iron brackets are perfect, really strong and sturdy, and the base that is already in the fiberglass shell is perfect to bolt onto. This is going to be a brilliant conversion and highly recommended to anyone else with the vacuum system. I have to say the MX5 motors are bloody quiet and really smooth in their operation. Total cost so far about £25 including the motors.

Edited by CharlieCroker

• 2 weeks later...

... do I use a second relay with separate live feed to link the second motor or do I wire all into the one relay? Dixi, my angle iron brackets are perfect, really strong and sturdy, and the base that is already in the fiberglass shell is perfect to bolt onto. This is going to be a brilliant conversion and highly recommended to anyone else with the vacuum system. I have to say the MX5 motors are bloody quiet and really smooth in their operation. Total cost so far about £25 including the motors.

If you only ever had 1 vacuum solenoid, piggy back the coil teminals to a second relay for the second lift motor. The same can be done with your permanent supply.

• Like 1

That's exactly what I did. I having doubts whether or not my motors are good, I can't even get them to work directly from a battery, they spin 360 but they don't do the 180 stop then 180 stop.

Charlie, I dont think your motors are the problem. Can you give me an account of what cables you used on the motors and to what terminals you connected on the relay.

Also tell me what cables are connected to a permenant +ive and what are connected to ground.

Include colours of cables from the motors, ie red with a white stripe etc.

• Like 1

Ok, it goes like this.

Permanent live from starter motor > 30 piggy back > white/black from mx5 loom. (If I use the white/red wire I get no power at all.

Old solenoid blue/brown > 86 piggy back > black mx5 loom.

85 has a second blue/brown from old solenoid. (I don't have a black or brown people talk about I olny have available two blue/brown that went to the vacuum solenoid)

87 yellow

87a red

My mx5 loom has these colours available.

20150501_145013_zpsi3adhjes.jpg

I know it sounds like I don't know what I'm doing but I tried every single combination of possible colours with all manor of variations but the only way I can get any life into the lift motor is off the white/black, if I use the white/red the motor remains dead.

Ok Charlie,

Cables to 85 and 86 are ok.

I believe you should have red on the MX5 motor connected to 30, the permanent live.

Ignore Yellow. Leave unconnected and insulated.

Ignore Green. Leave unconnected and insulated.

Connect white with red stripe to 87

Leave 87a not connected for the moment.

Verify lamp motor lifts. (It should rotate 180*)

Then connect white with black stripe to 87a. (Careful, it will (should) lower the minute you connect this cable)

It should then lower.

Lets us know how this works.

Stop The Press.

Charlie, I did a bit of research after the above post and there are different generations of mx5 with different colours used on each.

Your motors appear to be newer units so the suggested wiring is as follows;

I believe you should have White with Red stripe red on the MX5 motor connected to 30, the permanent live.

Black is earth.

Ignore White with black stripe. Leave unconnected and insulated.

Ignore Green. Leave unconnected and insulated.

Connect Red to 87

Leave 87a not connected for the moment.

Verify lamp motor lifts. (It should rotate 180*)

Then connect Yellow to 87a. (Careful, it will (should) lower the minute you connect this cable)

It should then lower.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

I have just looked at the ones that have came - colours are as per the drawing I posted.

motor has this written on the side

Na01 51 sax

Asmo

861100-0850

12v. 7k

Off to get oil, fuel then off to the garage to see if I can get his doing what it should.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Right my motors have a connector and another connector that went to the old car loom

Motor connector ------- Loom Connector.--------- Desc

Black------------------------black----------------------------0v

Red.-------------------------Red/yellow.--------------------Down

Yellow.----------------------White/red.----------------------Up

Green.--------------------- Green. -------------------------- Some sort of control wire or output wire from the internal sw and relay

White/red.-----------------Brown.----------------------------12v

Try your motor on a battery or battery charger. Connect just the 12v and 0v wires - then touch one of the up or down wires on - this will kick the motor round 180degrees - touch the other - kick round another 180deg.

Touch both to 12v and it's a lovely windmill.

The diagram I posted up works as it should do on the bench

This arrangement is no use at all for a bloody esprit ................as there is a controller that changes the polarity............and leaves the power on the motor for about 6 seconds.

To over come this - there is a blue wire going to the motor - not in the loom itself.......... Cut that.

You will need to drill a new fixing hole at the top front - you can then use two fixings for the motor on the esprit

The blue wire to motor goes onto pink/Orange on the esprit

The black wire on motor goes to pink/black on the esprit.

All other wires are spare......should work lovely......

However - my f-/:3!8g light pod still sticks up........

So I take the mx5 motor out......... Sorry to everyone in Herefordshire that heard the tirade of language and the whooshing and smacking noise as I beat the car with the first tree I could rip out of the ground .

Fix the old esprit motor back in - do some more linkage adjustments whilst muttering under my breath like an old drunk......and ..........

Up, down, up, down - about 40 times without it sticking up.......

Now I'm sure the next time I take it out and see a stunning blonde nymphomaniac whom is only turned on by pop up lights going down - the b4st4rd thing will stay up again........

But for now - I have some success

• Like 2

Only here once

I found a photo of my test from the battery charger, no matter how I attempt to wire this puppy it only does a full 360.

Look closely at the wires,

I put negative from charger to black on motor.

I then put positive from charger to white/black from motor. BUT as soon as I plug this in I get a constant 360.

So I take out the white/black and put on white/red to positive. Then from piggy back on positive I touch red or yellow, what do I get? Absolutely fugging nothing!

I seriously doubt these motors as I CANNOT get them to do 180 stop 180 stop even off of the battery direct.

20150506_150845_zpspzrm4ceu.jpg

I won't give up as I've gone this far and we will win this battle. I'm sure with all the brain power on here we can solve this. A second set of motors might help prove my theory that the first set of motors are shagged.

• Gold FFM

Can you try this

Black to 0v

White/ black to 0v

White/red to 12v

This should be the power wires I'm assuming

The red or yellow - short one at a time to 12v and it will do the Rotation

Only here once

Right, just tried that, no joy. It must be faulty motors, surely? They just spin 360 no matter how I wire them. I've tried every conceivable variation and there's no more possible connections I can try. It has to be dodgy motor, no?

• Gold FFM

Did you get a pair of these???

There's a relay thingy under the white plastic bit inside - I didn't rip it fully apart to find out - but it is plausible it's shagged........

Only here once

Yes, got a pair. That was my next option, look under the white plastic to see if anything is fried. Most people would have chucked the towel in a long time ago, feel like I've been 10 rounds with Tyson!

• Gold FFM

Try the other one - see that working as it should would at least give you a good feeling it's going right.

I'm at the brooklands event this weekend - if that one in the picture is knackered - I think that would be the drivers side on the esprit - I would happily let you have the mx5 one - after the du I've had I'm just glad they are working again!!!

Only here once

Unfortunately Charlie you may be right about your motors being knackered.

The wiring described is correct,

White/Red - perm live

Black- earth

Red - down

Yellow - up

When you have the White/ Red and the Black connected, turn the red knob on the motor a turn or 2. If the motor does not automatically run against what you did, then there is a fault in the gearbox assembly.

Research on the MX5 forums would suggest that its not worth trying to repair these motors :(

• Gold FFM

The blue wire is the control feed to the motor.

On yours - White/black and blue wires are the pair that run the motor.

I've checked as needed to use these to run the motor on the esprit

• Like 1

Only here once

• 1 year later...

Is anyone interested in making a little cash?!

Have been thinking about this for some time now but my machining skills and tools leave a hell of a lot to be desired. Was wondering if anyone would be willing to make up the brackets/fittings etc for a little compensation. I'd get the relays, motors and wiring, but I just need that bit of help with the actual fitting bits.

If anyone would be up for this then please let me know, and what sort of price you'd want to make these up :)