free hit
counters
Gerry Marshall/ ICS Racing Turbo Esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Gerry Marshall/ ICS Racing Turbo Esprit

WayneB

Forum member and my mate Mike Brewer (cbclotus) asked me to post these pictures of his old car he reciently recieved from Gerry Marshalls son, Gregor. B)

In case you dont know, this car started out as a Red Lotus Turbo Esprit press demonstrator OPW 679W, which was featured in articles in Car magazine amoungst others (sister to the Bond cars).

It was then puchased by Pete Hall of ICS, who got Andy Rouse to prepare the car to run in the Uniroyal sponsored British Touring Car Championship.

The car was driven by the late Gerry Marshall B)

Mike owned the car for a while, as by that time it had been painted black and put back on the road.

It was sold to John Haynes, and is now on display in his car museum, in the Hall of fame.

ICSTurboEsprit3.jpg

ICSTurboEsprit2.jpg

ICSTurboEsprit.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting the pictures Wayne really good of you .Yes Jussi the car was used on the road by the previous owner who used it in the 750 motor racing in this country. i owned it for approx two years ,car was very reliable pumping out approx 275 bhp car was lowered only one year old when raced , cool car :)

Another interesting fact about this car is besides being registered one digit after the Bronze James Bond Turbo,(OPW 678W) it also appears to be the first Turbo Esprit to be fitted with the five mounting hole BBS one piece alloy wheels.(the Bond car was on the 4 mounting hole split rim Compomotive wheels) It probably served as the test/development car for the upgrade. Mike Brewer is trying to find out from Lotus whether this was truly the case. :)

Here is a link to the Car Magazine road test of this car (driven by Roger Becker) B)

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Here is a link to the Car Magazine road test of this car (driven by Roger Becker) B)

However bizarre, I think the Roger in the text is Roger Cook the oversized-microphone-stuffed-in-the-face-of-a-bad-person type reporter. How he came to know a motoring hack like Mel Nichols I've no idea, but the plutocratic scribbler certainly likes dropping his name. Did you notice the story mentions the recently discussed Essex roof mounted console as an accessory, "a

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Just drying my eyes guys ,thats my old baby remember driving to haynes museam ,talking to the curator, talking to John Haynes .his yes or no to buy the car ,great car lucky to have owned it ,got to say a big thank you to my wife melanie for putting up with me .but as with most of us here my only vice is cars mike s3,just going to get some more tissue

Mike, can you ask him what colour code the plate under the front bonnet has on it?

If its L25 (monaco white) , that might be further proof that its one of the Bond Esprits. :mellow:

I wanted to have a look when I was there at the museum, but we just plain ran out of time. :mellow:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Hi Wayne no reply from haynes ,my mrs sent on photos today ,i will phone them tommorow .opw679w was always red ,from new then blue white racing colours as when i bought her ,Basically Pete Hall said to Gregor that it was sent to pinewood with three other esprits .i am not sure might be wrong but i think they might of sent an essex car plus the other cars ,they went for copper bronze to show up against the snow Kimbers jr is going to ask MJK Soon ,i think the esprit used for the v8 engine was painted bronze and used as a stand in car .guy mentiones this on my esprit video , when i find out any thing more i will post cheers mate mike

Hi all got an e mail from haynes today telling me chassis no of opw679w here goes chassis no scc0829108hhd10962 engine no cc910810118927 hope you are reading this Dodgy and Nello

Got it Mike - cheers - see my new thread!