free hit
counters
Disaster start to Lotus ownership! (Now sorted.) - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
yschean

Disaster start to Lotus ownership! (Now sorted.)

Hi all! The very 1st post here on TLF.

Finally collected my 1 year old Lotus Approved Evora S IPS from Lotus Silverstone last Saturday after months of research into which car to own after 911Turbo. I was still familiarise myself with the car and was going easy with her on Saturday heading back to London. Leave her in dry secure basement car park after dinner.

Come Sunday morning when switching on the car issues starts rolling in!

1. Engine & transmission warning light on

2. Rough engine noise and revving up and down without me touching the throttle.

3. Wet driver foot well. The car was not in rain or wash after collecting from Lotus Silverstone.

4. Wet luggage compartment after come back from collection. Dry now (Right hand side)

5. Foul smell when turn on aircon lasted for 5-10 minutes then clear off every time (Mouldy Cabin air filter or vent ducts?)

6. Low aircon air flow even fan set to maximum. Though I can hear loud air blow noise within the centre console unit (Block air ducts?)

I was kind of expecting some issue with the car after reading various lotus forum but never prepare myself for this magnitude of problems!

Already in love with the suspension and steering after only a short day of driving her. Really hope Lotus Silverstone can resolve all the problem and rebuild my confident to the car for some long journey driving.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm sure they'll sort all that in sort order, they're a great dealership. Panic not :)

• Like 1

The car is to be transport back to Silverstone later for repair. Finger cross all will be well! Have you had any similar issues before that since being resolved?

1 and 2 are connected and will more than likely be a sensor of some type.

The rest are probably connected to something along the line of this recent topic...

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/68122-help-no-ventilation/

so all known and easy to fix hopefully :)

• Like 1

Sorry about your issues, but I'm sure they are easily resolved. I know how a bad initial experience can ruin the whole experience. But, it can (and does) happen with any car (but not necessarily every dealer). 

1 & 2 have been quite common, very likely either the throttle connector or MAF-connector. The others as said.

What I would not accept is that Lotus Silverstone hands over a car with this fault list. To me this shows a lack of rigour and commitment in preparing the car for delivery. True, some issues only show up after a day' driving, but if necessary that should be part of their checklist.

• Like 1

I'm sure there's not a dealer in the world that has the time, staff or inclination to test drive every second hand car they sell for a day mate. I'll buy you a beer if you find one.

Thomas, Lotus Silverstone were the TLF dealer of the year last year, and have a very good reputation for both sales and after service.

The rough running problem has manifested itself since it left the dealer, they wouldn't have let it go out the door like that, and could have happened at any time, the next day, the next week, the next month.......

The damp inside the car may well have been from the pre delivery wash and detail. If the car was from a dry garage owner, and since sat inside their showroom, then no moisture ingress would have been apparent. If it had, the previous owner would have no doubt had the issue fixed under warranty. It would have made no sense for them not to have.

Yschean, welcome to the forum. I'm sure your car will be pristine and ship shape before you know it! :D

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your problems on your new purchase yschean, but sure Silverstone will have it sorted soon.

Did you buy the carbon grey with venom interior Evora that Lotus Silverstone had for sale? Stunning looking car, do love diamond cut wheels too :)

TBD what you reckon will engine sounds like this to startup with no throttle input?

Yes internet! Did you went to have a look as well? I got to be very careful with all the kerb now especially the tyres dont come with kerb protect edging.

It sounds broken. I'd be leaving it alone if I were you and waiting for Silverstone to fix it, that can't be doing it any good.

No did not see the car just saw it listed on PH. Considering we are fast approaching winter, Evora's still seem to be selling well at the main dealers :)

As Bibs said I would leave well alone and have Silverstone sort it for you.

Yep! Lotus recovery is on their way and the car will be will Silverstone this afternoon. Just wonder how could this happen as the car still perfectly find when park up the evening before...

It's got to break sometime, a sensor wire cooling could have broken if it was delicate, anything like that. It's hundreds of parts bolted together, no car is perfect. You're just lucky you bought it from an excellent dealer who will fix it very quickly and very well. 

Have every faith with Silverstone until proof otherwise.

internets I supposed people start to appreciate the exclusivity of the brand and the excellent dynamic of the car. That's me anyway. Winter months slippery drive only add fun not? :P

That does sound bad and, as Bibs said, I wouldn't drive it either. I'm going to guess an electrical fault, possibly the VVT-control. I may be biased, but I've recently had quite a few issues with the connectors in the engine bay,  be it VT-controller, water temperature sensor, MAF sensor or throttle control.

I'll agree it may be hard to take every car for a day's drive, but a soggy footwell and trunk shouldn't be and water ingress from detailing is not an acceptable excuse (I would be OK if the salesman pointed it out). Maybe Silverstone just had a bad day. 

To be fair to Silverstone they did resolve all other issues I pointed out to them for rectification during pre-purchase inspection. I will need to request for a new driver site mat though as its so wet that it could start to mould.

How long you have own your car before your problem crop up TBD? I will be very troubled if these issues lingers on.

The water ingress is more than likely from the aircon as detailed in the other thread. Again, I don't think any dealer will run the aircon for more than 2-3 mins which establishes that it's blowing cold air. A long run with it on max is what will identify this and as I mentioned, that's not what dealers do. 

Hopefully the footwell water and aircon issue are interrelated as you said Bibs. By the way is the Evora aircon air flow consider low comparing to other car? It felt like not much air coming out of the vent even I set the fan to max.

That's exactly one of the symptoms in the other thread. The AC is good when it's working, it flows very nicely although I've been in cars with better (and indeed worse). 

been said s few times above. Silverstone are great, no doubt they will sort, just look forward to enjoying a fantastic car.

Bloody hell that sounds bad! I'd be horrified, angry, nervous, the lot!

Sounds like part of the exhaust system has come loose and, perhaps, that is causing sensors to make it rev like that?

Sure the dealer will fix it for you. Lotus cars do test new owners though, it's somehow usual but ends up well.

Lovely looking Evora.