free hit
counters
Leather Seats for an Elite 502 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Leather Seats for an Elite 502

Having no luck finding a pair of leather front seats of any colour for an Elite 502 1975.

My question is would the front seats from an Excel fit the Elite?

I was very interested in the thread regarding MX5 seat fitting. Although the prices of those available were quite steep when I looked.

This started me thinking on a wider view.

On the internet there seem to be many leather seats on offer at very reasonable prices. Particularly Jaguar X type, Saab and BMW. Most with heated elements. Wow sheer indulgence!

Has anyone had experience of fitting any other high back seats to an Elite or Eclat? particularly the X type ones which have built in seat belts.

I would appreciate any help or directions.

Adrian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Having had a Porsche 944 before my Elite, I did briefly consider getting a pair of 924/944/968 (or other Porsche?) seats as they are highback, have a similar pattern to the Lotus seats (as long as they don't have the Porsche logo), have more side support, and are very comfortable. Many have electrical adjustment which would mean wiring as well as an adapter plate. Sometimes they go quite reasonably on eBay. However I haven't researched this in detail, it's just a thought.

ATB Richard

Not sure if the seats from this are still available

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-insight-coupe-mk1-2002-manual-electric-hybrid-rear-wiper-arm-BREAKING-/181564190929?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a4611b0d1

they would look like...

post-16070-0-42331700-1414789067.jpg

and could be cheap since not many people would want them but they are some distance from you. I got mine retrimed in red and they look like...

post-16070-0-72388800-1414789263.jpg

I haven't measured them up for fit yet but cant see them being any bigger than mx5 seats and these cars were built for low weight so might be a good option.

My Elite front seats will be available soon, but they would need recovering professionally, they are going cheap. 

Thanks for the offer.

I do have two good seats apart from the covering which has started to disintegrate so they are not needed by me but I know Soldave needs the foam for the drivers seat. Give him a PM

Not sure if the seats from this are still available

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-insight-coupe-mk1-2002-manual-electric-hybrid-rear-wiper-arm-BREAKING-/181564190929?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a4611b0d1

they would look like...

attachicon.gif$_35.jpg

and could be cheap since not many people would want them but they are some distance from you. I got mine retrimed in red and they look like...

attachicon.gifIMG_20141014_120839.jpg

I haven't measured them up for fit yet but cant see them being any bigger than mx5 seats and these cars were built for low weight so might be a good option.

A good possibility but has anyone successfully fitted them to a Lotus?

Having had a Porsche 944 before my Elite, I did briefly consider getting a pair of 924/944/968 (or other Porsche?) seats as they are highback, have a similar pattern to the Lotus seats (as long as they don't have the Porsche logo), have more side support, and are very comfortable. Many have electrical adjustment which would mean wiring as well as an adapter plate. Sometimes they go quite reasonably on eBay. However I haven't researched this in detail, it's just a thought.

ATB Richard

Good thoughts but has anyone successfully fitted Porsche seats to a Lotus Elite?

Conversions to Jag seats are quite common in a few Excels

One assumes then that the Excel floor pan is the same as the Elite/Eclat.

Can anyone confirm this?

It looks the same to me, as I was looking at an Excel for breaking a couple of weeks ago but the guy had sold the interior.

Maybe i should be asking Excel owners for seat conversions

One assumes then that the Excel floor pan is the same as the Elite/Eclat.

Can anyone confirm this?

mh... the part numbers for the seat runners are completely different. But there has to be made some brackets for it to fit in the Excels as well. 

DSC00220.jpg

Another variant are RX8-Seats

newseatspas.jpg

May I make a suggestion? Always thought Porsche 924 seats would work well with an Elite.

818989d1395839312-porsche-924-seats-bamb

I tend to agree but finding a pair in good condition is another matter. Plus modifying the mountings.

I will look into this application though.

I do recall the thread recently of fitting MX5 seats where the seating height could be an issue for taller drivers and passengers.

You are offering your old seats for sale in the near future. What was your solution?

Regards,

Adrian

mh... the part numbers for the seat runners are completely different. But there has to be made some brackets for it to fit in the Excels as well. 

DSC00220.jpg

Another variant are RX8-Seats

newseatspas.jpg

Thanks for the photos.

The Excel seats I am looking to purchase are of a different pattern with different head restraints is this earlier or later?

These are the seats in Ethel.  Jagaur XJS Recaro (post 89)seats re-trimmed in Pullman leather.  They are heated also.  They do weigh more than the original seat but they are SOOOOOO comfortable it makes me forget that.

IMG_1216_zps2a4e1c79.jpg

IMG_1132_zps741b7b23.jpg

• Like 2

These are the seats in Ethel.  Jagaur XJS Recaro (post 89)seats re-trimmed in Pullman leather.  They are heated also.  They do weigh more than the original seat but they are SOOOOOO comfortable it makes me forget that.

IMG_1216_zps2a4e1c79.jpg

IMG_1132_zps741b7b23.jpg

Now there is a conversion that looks as if made for the Lotus and a fab one too.

What about mounting into the Lotus was it difficult?

• Like 1

The frame was more than a mornings work but it was more the very fine details to get right that took the time.

It's one of the conversion bits on Ethel that took a while to get right but makes a big difference.  

If you have patience, access to angle metal and a few flat sheets... drill, angle grinder then nothing is too complex.

If you are at the NEC...take a peek.  Brian has a template for these in the workshop and would happily fit them if you were up in Scotland at some point. 

Edited by Fueltheburn

You are offering your old seats for sale in the near future. What was your solution?

I've secured an original interior including front seats, they should be good enough to use, hence the sale. 

An update to my quest for a leather interior for the Elite.

Having received various suggestions and a very good offer (accepted) of an interior, minus front seats, from a fellow Forum member I have looked more into front seat conversions.

The 'ecxelnet' Forum was also very informative.

I studied the pictures of Fueltheburn's front seats pictured in the yellow car and Don Hasi's seats in the green car on this thread and they are the very same just a different colour.

Jaguar XJS Recaros are my choice.

They are plentiful on "fleabay" and can be secured very cheaply and apparently easy to fit into the Elite (we shall see).

I have purchased two very good condition seats, runners and seat belts (the belt receivers are mounted on the seat) for £100 plus £25 delivery. Which I think is a bargain.

The seat belts give me the option to use them or not. My original belts are suspect. I am thinking that the Elite floor mounts will have to be reinforced if I do use the Jaguar ones.

Some colour changing will be needed on the front seats. Furniture Clinic (info also gleaned from the "excelnet"site) will match any original colour.and supply any renovation supplies.

A complete interior colour change is in my thoughts depending on the cost as I am on an enforced tight budget.

Any suggestions of the ideal interior colour for a bright red car same colour as Charlie Croaker's?

At the moment the interior I am buying is something akin to the colour of the one in Don Hasi's photo of the green car. Recolouring the ivory front XJS seats to this colour would be the cheapest and easiest option but open to suggestions.

So we shall see how things come together once I have all the componant parts here.

Overall I expect I shall have a nice restored leather interior for between £250 and £350 depending on if I do a complete colour change or not. This price I feel is good compared with some of the prices quoted on a thread recently.

Watch this space!

• Like 2

Further to Furniture Clinic as a supplier of leather restoration products.

I have been recommended a product called Vinylkote Formular 40.

Despite the name it is recommended for leather colour changes and vinyl.

No idea on pricing, I have requested pricing details online.

Anyone have experience of this product?

Adrian.

Edited by dixi4uk

Ummm sounds a good plan maybe a darkish red. Food for thought.

I went to look at a Silver Elite some weeks ago with the prospect of buying as a spares car.

That particular car had a burgundy leather interior which looked rather 'Regal' it would have cleaned up well but had a badly repaired puncture rip in passenger seat and in my opinion too much money was being asked for a car with a crushed roof, broken winscreen, suede dash, suede door cards and an automatic gearbox.

I contacted the seller later and it had been sold. He wasn't forthcoming as to who the buyer was what he paid or what his intentions were.

Adrian

• 1 month later...

I now have a complete interior for my Elite all together in one place at last.

The interior I have gathered together is comprised of two XJS Recaro pre '89 front seats in ivory leather with dark red piping in mint condition. The rest of the interior is an Elite original leather in very fair condition needing a lot of cleaning and feeding as the leather is very dry, hard and brittle. I am not complaining as the price paid to a Forum member for the interior was very good and I am very pleased with it. I just wanted to paint the picture so any reader can visualise what I have.

There are a few bits of damage to restore but all easy to rectify I think!.

I have made a decision that owing to the original Elite interior needing a fair bit of restoration I want to change the colour from the original, a caramel/beige, to ivory to match the front seats. I think overall this will look stunning when finished off with Land Rover Anthacite (almost black) carpet and a grey headling (Like Charlie Croakers).

Any opinions on this or I am I having too many colours?

At this point I have a dilema.

I am very surprised how much of the original 'leather' is in fact leatherette!

For instance both integral arm rests of the rear seats, the side panels and front kick panels are not leather.

I fear that the leatherette will not accept the leather dye kit supplied by Furniture Clinic.

Any views on this?

Alternatively I have come across Vinylkote which says specifically it will do both plastic and leather colour changing when applied with a spray gun.

Anyone ever used Vinylkote? It sounds too good to be true.

I am thinking that I could use Furniture Clinic for the repair/restoration products and finish with the Vinylkote to achieve a lasting finish.

So I would appreciate any input and experiences of colour changing leather and leatherette mixtures.

Looking forward to your views.

Adrian