free hit
counters
Eclat- rear wing- options? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Subungal

Eclat- rear wing- options?

Wondering if anyone mounted a rear wing on their eclat? I realize it may not be too effective, but for looks, do you think it would look ok?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm not a fan of wings on anything Bruce but it's your car; do what you want!

• Like 1

Hi Bruce , If you look up some photo's of the early éclat/excels 1982 ish that would give you a good idea of what you can expect

the body shape is near enough the same and Lotus did fit a rear wing ,have not got a pic at hand

Cheers  Ian

• Like 1

Not been able to post link but if you look under

restoration blogs

ice blue éclat /excel

page 2  post #33  couple of pictures there to give you  an idea

• Like 1

There are several options from Excel, but the shape of the back is different if you compare. I have felled in love with the Riviera when I saw his neat "BMWlip" only 10years before BMW... I think it suits the design of the car best :)

Edited by Don.Hasi
  • Like 1

I think a small lip spoiler would suit it better than a wing. Some earlier BMW's had a nice clean trunk mounted lip spoiler. I was not thinking of a boy racer wing, but something that would suit the car .

additionally some pictures here: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/67660-converting-fuel-filler-cap-éclat-vs-elite/#entry526260

and the one which addicted me for this kind of car: 

riv3.tiff

+ there was a Riviera boot lid for sale some time ago... I dont know if only here or in the other forum

Edited by Don.Hasi

I like the porsche RS style ducktail. I've only seen it on one car, but I really like it.

A spoiler can add to problems on your boot spring, as it has extra weight on the extremity of the boot which adds leverage to the weight acting against the spring.

You just need something subtle, to fit in with the lines of the car.  Something like this, maybe?

spoiler-7.jpg

• Like 1

There is a lot of trunk flex that would not transfer the downforce properly. One might have to overcompensate for this by increasing the wing size.

For the purist, who doesn't want to ruin the lines of an increasingly rare classic, I offer this submission.

post-17890-0-19217200-1414961664.jpg

post-17890-0-33724800-1414961883.jpg

• Like 1

The Riviera lip finishes off the tail a treat. Last time I called Lotusbits had one or two 2nd hand if you wanted an easy life.

post-2-0-88840600-1408370442.jpg

• Like 2

+1 for the lip.  

I have always thought the boot lid profile of the Eclat looked somewhat amateurish.  The lip spoiler pretty much fixes it, in my eyes.

The Riviera lip finishes off the tail a treat. Last time I called Lotusbits had one or two 2nd hand if you wanted an easy life.

post-2-0-88840600-1408370442.jpg

Might have to give them a call.  I do like the look of that.

Dave, a riviera boot is from an s2, which isn't a straight fit on the s1. It has no hole drilled for the series 1 lock.

Dave, a riviera boot is from an s2, which isn't a straight fit on the s1. It has no hole drilled for the series 1 lock.

Aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!  Thanks for that.  Should be saving the money for maintenance anyway :)

Someone has fitted an Excel style spoiler to my Eclat. I think it looks OK, but opinions vary.

post-17883-0-81383400-1417408585.jpg

post-17883-0-65867900-1417408656.jpg

I always thought a notchback line would suit the Eclat well. Look at the side profile (or the bottom photo above) and continue the bonnet line rearwards past the side windows till it meets the top of the bootlid, then taper the bootlid slightly downwards with a slight curve.