free hit
counters
Can't find hood release!? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Can't find hood release!?

Okay I know this sounds REALLY stupid, but I just got a 1990 Esprit SE on Sunday and I can't figure out how to open up the front hood! I should mention that the car was in the middle of being "worked on" at a body shop when it was auctioned so some things are currently disconnected. Basically all I need to know is how the hood usually opens. Is there a lever, switch, remote!??? :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an 88 esprit, the best that I can tell you is:

take your left hand and reach like your going for the clutch pedal.

When your had is next to the driverside wheel well,

put your hand up into the dash board and pull your hand back until you find a really thin rod that runs the with of the dash.

Then you should just to pull back on the rod until it stops, and that should release the front hood.

You may have to pull on the hood.

Guy

Okay I know this sounds REALLY stupid, but I just got a 1990 Esprit SE on Sunday and I can't figure out how to open up the front hood! I should mention that the car was in the middle of being "worked on" at a body shop when it was auctioned so some things are currently disconnected. Basically all I need to know is how the hood usually opens. Is there a lever, switch, remote!??? :)

I've got a 1994 S4, but I presume the mechanism is the same on almost all of these cars. And, by the way, in honour of Lotus being a British car, you gotta call it the 'bonnet', not the hood. And the rear engine bay is called the 'boot'.

I find the best way is to get on your knees on the ground, facing into the driver's seat. With your inside hand, reach up under the dash (binnacle) under the steering wheel column, and find a square wire that feels like a bent coat hanger. Pulling it towards the driver's seat unlocks the bonnet, although you must manually lift it open from the outside.

Close the bonnet from the outside, and push the coat hanger forward, to lock it closed. Also, most information like this can be found by searching Bibs' http://www.lotusespritworld.com/beginners.html

Edited by aerobat

Pulling it towards the driver's seat unlocks the bonnet, although you must manually lift it open from the outside.

Pushing it away from you unlocks it, pulling it towards you secures the latches. Unless my car is backwards.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I appreciate all the help for the new guy!

:lol:,

Anytime! I was in the same boat as you less than a year ago. I couldn't figure out how to open the rear boot! I bought the car sight unseen and went to pick it up from the owners son who knew NOTHING about the car! Took me a week to figure out how to get it in reverse too!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hi Graham,

While we're on the subject of finding things out about how things work on an Esprit, One favourite thing I found on mine is that if you quickly turn the wipers on and off or pull the stalk toward you it activates the intermitent wipe which there then seems no way to disengage it !!. After doing this accidentaly several times I looked through the manual and the only way to stop the intermitent wipe is to switch the wipers on for at least ten seconds or pull the stalk toward you again for at least 10 seconds this disengages the intermitent wipe :lol: . As you've probably now discovered both the Brake and Clutch Reservoirs are both under the bonnet as is the washer bottle, there's also an expansion tank for the radiator header tank hidden in the left hand corner of the boot. Hope some of this might help :o

Bye

Martyn B)

Hi Graham,

While we're on the subject of finding things out about how things work on an Esprit, One favourite thing I found on mine is that if you quickly turn the wipers on and off or pull the stalk toward you it activates the intermitent wipe which there then seems no way to disengage it !!. After doing this accidentaly several times I looked through the manual and the only way to stop the intermitent wipe is to switch the wipers on for at least ten seconds or pull the stalk toward you again for at least 10 seconds this disengages the intermitent wipe :lol:

This surprised me as well, but I figured out if I only want a single swipe, I only need to 'double click' (pull toward me twice and hold) the stalk, and then release it just before it reach parked position. Of course, if I release it too early it will not turn off, and if I release it too late I've got a wiper nicely parked across the windscreen :o

Edited by sephyr

Just for a laugh, if you forget to clamp it down again so its just laid down flat, try taking it for a drive, get to about 60mph then flash the headlights... it rises up & for a moment you cant see where your going! great fun!

:lol:

What sort of wally would do that!!! :):o

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

What sort of wally would do that!!! :mellow::blink:

Yeah i've done that as well ,didnt flash my lights but as Gary says got up to 60 ish and this black 'thing' rose up in front of me scared the pooh out of me ..................good job it opens hinged at front :blink: Had it happen on an old Passat and it went all the way back very interesting.. :mellow:

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Ahhhhh guys, DO NOT drive for fun with the bonnet latch open at speed. I have it on good authority any reasonable braking and the bonnet will easily rip off the struts at the front...........not cheap! :mellow::mellow::blink:

Didnt do it on purpose honest guv :blink: Just forgot to relatch,trouble is the bonnet does sit very low(and can appear to be locked ) and is dead easy to overlook when your'e busy,i was lucky

Cheers

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

• 12 years later...

It's as per Guy's post in 2006. The release is a thin metal bar that runs across the footwell, right up behind the dash, at a guess it's nearly  half way up between the opening and the top of the dash (driver's side). Most people would probably guess it's a bar to support cables or something, and never suspect it's a release lever.