free hit
counters
Cleaning tweedy cloth seats - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
GerardJPC

Cleaning tweedy cloth seats

My car has the black and grey cloth interior used on early 80s Eclats.    I suspect that the answer to the question here is steam cleaning and/or elbow grease, but I wonder if anyone has tried any particular cleaning method with success?  

BTW, how pleasantly surprising that the proverbially cheap-ass Lotus chose cloth that is very hard wearing.  There are two places on the driver's seat where it has been darned, but these appear to be cigarette burn areas rather than wear.   There's a bit of fraying in the cloth that covers the steering column (this is also annoyingly loose).     Otherwise, pretty good.   

Compare and contrast my 1983 Lancia HPE Volumex, which has an attractive soft cloth designed by Ermenegildo Zegna, but which is in tatters on the driver's seat bolster despite only 80,000 odd miles on the clock as against the 101,000 of the Eclat.   All Volumexes have shagged seats.  The internet being the whacky place that it is, I tracked down some of the Zegna cloth via a website that does photos of steam traction engines!

post-17883-0-05831000-1414920468.jpg

post-17883-0-57895000-1414920529.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The series 2 interiors are quite hard wearing.

One of the lessons I think Lotus learned from the S1.

Hi Gerard-I am trying to source some Zenga cloth material for my Integrale seat-I notice you

were able to get hold of some for your HPE-do you by any chance still have the details..?

Much appreciated,

Paul Kemp

Regrets, but I have tried but failed to locate the supplier details.  I have searched old emails in vain.  

A bit of detective work might pay off.  The fabric supplier ran a website that featured photos of steam traction engines.  I looked at a few just now but could not see the one that the fabric supplier ran.  I recall it having a pale coloured backdrop and being an old fahioned looking home made website.  I was put on to her by a poster in Pistonheads, poster's name forgotten, apols, in a thread abut a Beta and/or a Volumex HPE, that ran last year for a while.  I have tried to find the thread but have failed so far.  I am sorry that I cannot help more than that.   I sold the car, and no longer have any paper records relating to it.

I also sold my Eclat.  I now have an early Excel, which has rather worn cloth and half leather seats and interior trim.  More trimmage required!

Edited by GerardJPC

Gerard, no problem at all-appreciate your prompt response..I will continue to try and track a piece down..

Amazingly, just found a web site in Cape Town which purports to have some..

Thanks again-Paul