free hit
counters
One piece tilt rear body section? - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
eddie lotus nj

One piece tilt rear body section?

Anyone ever do a one piece tilt rear body or have input of why this cant be done? I think I can do it . My wifes c4 corvette tilts and I keep thinking I can do similar with the rear of the Esprit.I have a parts car I can try it on without cutting up my complete car. Im also fitting a small block chevy to an 84 chassis, I started a project post of that here too.

post-17021-0-03373100-1415056537.jpg

post-17021-0-03268200-1415056566.jpg

post-17021-0-93740000-1415056634.jpg

post-17021-0-22648900-1415056980.jpg

post-17021-0-17968000-1415057011.jpg

post-17021-0-79637700-1415057090.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

An interesting conversion if you can pull it off. The original Esprit prototype had a Miura style rear hinged clam which might work better, although I don't think I have ever seen a picture with it open? Presumably as a show car there was nothing to look at!

LotusEspritPrototype1311365235.jpg

IMHO it was a tragedy this arrangement was lost on the production cars, purely to keep the body engineering simple, but at the expense of engine access. Imagine how much easier a belt change would be.

I'm not sure Eddie, but your pic showing the top half of the rear of the body hinging to get to the engine may require some thought. I think the body is partly responsible for the rigidity of the esprit.

When I was at Lotusbits a couple of years ago, there was a guy doing exactly this - clam hinged at the rear. He was almost complete apparently, although I didn't see the car.

Just something I keep thinking of while Im fitting the chevy engine to the Citroen trans and 84 frame.But once I get the frame/engine/trans done, Im sure ill drag the body in to play with for the winter.

Someone on here has don't it with a track car esprit.  Sorry but cant remember who it was quite a few years ago I last spotted a post about it.

Sounds like Danny / Silverfrost's "another-esprit-to-return-from-the-grave" thread in this restoration section from a few years back.

Looks like the image links are broken unfortunately.

BTW - Welcome Eddie, sounds like an interesting project :)

Yes it can be done andy webber had a pink turbo track car with flip rear end, I think I have some pics will try and find them out