free hit
counters
Wooden G-car bumpers? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Somebody mentioned to me that Lotus has used (Ply)wood inside the non-rubber bumpers of the G-cars

And that I should check wether the wood has rotten.

As I backed into a low post some time ago I took the rear bumper off last night, but I cannot check the inner structure as it is also laminated from the inside.

Will I find wood if I open up the bumper ? :lol:

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody mentioned to me that Lotus has used (Ply)wood inside the non-rubber bumpers of the G-cars

And that I should check wether the wood has rotten.

As I backed into a low post some time ago I took the rear bumper off last night, but I cannot check the inner structure as it is also laminated from the inside.

Will I find wood if I open up the bumper ? :lol:

Hello jimmybondi,

I didn't find any plywood in the bumpers of my S1 but there was rotten plywood in the pop up lights.

Now I am using aluminium-sheets instead of the plywood. :o

'76 lotus esprit s1 - monaco white ... '11 lotus evora na - aspen white Posted Image

Thanks.

As Andy's car is a '81 I am pretty sure that there's no wood in my bumpers. there is a GF plate laminated instead of wood. This does not help with my repair though. I thought I could glass the damaged section from the inside of the bumper.

Ciao,

JB

Jimmy, I found plywood in the replacement fibreglass front bumper I fitted on to my car last year (I got fed up of the warped foam Federal one).

As it was a used one (from Nick Warren), the plywood was somewhat rotton! (mega understatement) :mellow:

I ended up cutting a new piece of 1/4 inch thick exterior plywood and glassing it to the existing outer. (as per original spec.) :mellow:

It should last another 20 years at least! :blink:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

I was wrong! I got plywood, too. :blink: It was painted, so does not look like wood on the first sight... But in a quite fair condition. :mellow:

Shall I thrash it, shall I keep it?? :mellow:

Ciao,

JB

jimmi, if it aint rotton, it don't need replacing, just treat it with a good wood preserver and re-fit.

if its rotten in the slightest, replace it 'while you have it off the car' :blink:

ooooh sorry, posting while drinking again................ :mellow: dam its 3am :mellow:

bed time

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

At Lotus PBC today, I was VERY tempted by the replacement paintable fiberglass S1 bumpers they have...

(but think of how many "my car has wood" jokes that will forfiet. Actually I don't think the federal rubber bumpers have wood at all anyway, so)

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

I would recommend you all to check your bumbers !

If the plywood has not rotten over the years, the nuts and bolts definitely are! :)

There is nothing more humiliating than bumpers that are falling of... :)

What kind of material should I use to replace the plywood? Wood planks or MDF - which one is more resistant?

Edited by jimmybondi

Ciao,

JB

I would use marine-grade plywood. MDF is heavy and has little strength in tension so will break at the slightest knock. Plywood is much stronger. Should last years.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE