free hit
counters
Missing Essex found - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Conni82

Missing Essex found

difficult to tell from the pictures.  Is the 3 and 8000 dollars or £

Start as low as possible.

Depends what the owner thinks its worth.

Personally I would tell him it is so unoriginal it worth very little.  Does he need the money?

If you remove the Essex stripes may well need re painting.

need more pictures

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

He doesn't need to sell it now but was planning on it this next summer, that is in dollars. This guy pulled up the Haggerty price list on me which I think is very inaccurate when it comes to older European cars. He also has it registered as an 83. Would that be because the car was build in 82 and vin stamped, but sold in 83.

post-17953-0-23551600-1415378593.jpg

post-17953-0-26580400-1415378612.jpg

post-17953-0-46509200-1415378628.jpg

post-17953-0-65744700-1415378651.jpg

Edited by EssexFound81

Too late to be an Essex which were all 1980...I think?

Its a nice looking car though. Only thing I would say was the air intake pipe to the turbo looks to be a thin replacement. Sounds a small thing but that can make a lot of difference on the performance. The original pipe is quite expensive as it tapers from one end to the other but is quite hard. When the engine is breathing hard at higher RPM thin pipes can collapse and strangle the air coming in. Thats just how it looks to me in the pics

Good luck though

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

It's so difficult to put a value on it without knowing what needs doing to fix it back up properly.

It's not a dry sump, so you won't need to worry about the pump being buggered and impossible to replace, so that's a bonus.

If you can get away with keying the paint in and real querying then the resorts cost will be kept down, but a full colour re spray is far from cheap.

I've no idea which direction to point you with value, but bargain as hard as you can, you could loose a lot of money in that car before you even realised it!

Chunky Lover

I would be doing all the work on the car including the paint. I k is a guy in my area that rsatires these cars for a living and he would be doing any motor work if needed. I am thinking in the $4,000-$6,000 range.

It's a 1982 car - a very good year for them. From the VIN no, around 50 cars after mine.

Last UK tax in 1988, but not marked as exported, and still on a UK plate in the US. When did it get to the US?

✗ Untaxed Expired: 01 May 1988
Vehicle details
  • Vehicle make LOTUS
  • Date of first registration 19 November 1982
  • Year of manufacture 1982
  • Cylinder capacity (cc) 2174cc
  • CO₂Emissions Not available
  • Fuel type PETROL
  • Export marker No
  • Vehicle status Not taxed
  • Vehicle colour BLUE
  • Vehicle type approval Not available

Good luck with it, they are fantastic cars.

Chris

I don't know the exact date it was imported into the U.S. all I know is that it was shipped through a guy in the Airforce, so their wouldn't be any importation papers. The car is registered in New York state.

I am going to go over all of the paperwork within the next few days. I meet with the manager of the lotus dealership today and he is talking to lotus in England this weekend to find more history on the car.

I will be looking for the original European speedo gauge seeing that it was replaced with a US MPh gauge

I will be looking for the original European speedo gauge seeing that it was replaced with a US MPh gauge

Leave it alone, we use mph in the uk not km/h that would be for Europe

So long as it goes up to 170 mph it will probably be the original Smiths speedo that left the factory

John

P.s. Lovely colour

Would you like a new username?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Yes please, I figured that was the fastes way to get info on the car. Sorry if I pushed any buttons with that.

I think from looking at the pics the speedo is the original MPH item.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Hi all...just coming back to the forum after a long time gone.  Read up on your Essex.  The car in the Doppelganger article is one I own currently.  My understanding is that there were only two imported into the states.  Mine was one of them. 

Here's a video of it that a very enthusiastic person put together of it.  You'll notice in the article that it's missing the driver's side compomotive centers which I found and replaced. 

Hi Tom

Don't suppose you know of 4 more compomotive centers anywhere?

Phil

Looking good!!!! There was supposed to be an LHD Essex recently taken in by UKSportscars - is this it?

No that was number 029 . This car was exported to the US by Jim Loose in 81 with full Essex spec everything is identical but it had no Essex decals, he fitted them and passed it off as an Essex . The colour is original Essex blue and the vin numbers either side of this one are Essex cars but Lotus does not recognise this car as an Essex hence the title of a Doppelganger .

mubej8.jpg

found this somewhere inside a magazine,

Greetings !

• Like 1

Yes as per Mark there were 3 Jim Loose cars that were originally white - they were repainted Essex Blue. 

There were 14 official Essex cars marked for export including the development ones.
10306 went to Austria and 10308 to Germany so it was a bit random as to why 10307 did not leave the factory as an Essex.
10302 and 10303 were registered to Essex Motorsport with 10303 still believed to be in the hands of Mr Thieme.
Edited by nello

found this somewhere inside a magazine,

Greetings !

Is there any more of that article you could scan Tocus? Some nice images, especially the Essex through the side window, looking purposeful and pointy. It's easy to forget that at the time the Turbo was quite a brutal looking beast, comparisons with the Countach were often made by journos.

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream