free hit
counters
Esprit S2 lower front wishbone modification - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Freemason

Esprit S2 lower front wishbone modification

As part of my restoration, I'm trying to figure out if my lower front wishbone is of the newer or older type. If it's the older one, looks like I'm going to have to get an uprated one from SJ.

From the SJ website:

Hints & tips

In 1977/8 Lotus found that the inner bush, which came with the lower wishbones they purchased from Opel, were not suitable for use on a Lotus. From approximately 1978 all the wishbones fitted to the Esprit were modified from the Opel specification to accept the far superior bush used on the Elite/Eclat range. The modification involves machining out the steel bush housing and welding in a new, larger bush housing tube. The pair of wishbones are then blasted and power coated gloss black. This new bush housing will then accept the original Lotus bushes for the Esprit A079C4038J, or the polyurethane replacements we also sell, SJ079C0021. This modification is very important. The Opel bush is useless. Lotus were still paying to have the lower wishbones changed under warranty in 1988, I did several. To identify if you have the modified wishbones, look to see how the bush housing tubes are fitted. The Opel ones are just pressed in. The modified ones are welded. The appearance of the bush is different as well. The Opel bush has a different shape at the front and rear of the wishbone, the Lotus one is symmetrical. Steve

Can anyone tell from these pics what the situation is with my car? Steve says he needs to see the "inner bush", not sure where this is? Will I only be able to tell once I've taken everything apart?

IMG_1657_zpse27d8bd1.jpg

IMG_1658_zps3631141d.jpg

IMG_1659_zpsbdfd5017.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had mine done by steve last year, the mod is the tube that the bolt goes through the wishbone and into the chassis, not the ARB end. Paul

So I wasn't even taking a picture in the right area! Don't suppose anyone has any pics of precisely where I should be aiming my camera?

on your last picture it shows the part that needs changing on the left. It looks like a solid tube but i believe its the outer casing of the bush, when mine came back a soild tube had been welded in its place, if this isnt done the poly bushes wont fit. I would say clean the area and if you cant see any weld then its probably not been done. Apparently the reason for the mod was the wishbone can twist. Paul

Hoping I have the right end this time! Can anyone tell if mine has the modification or not? Thought I'd make sure before I get them plated.

IMG_0174_zpsnnz3s5ni.jpg

Edited by Freemason

That looks like the later type with a welded tube to me. The original bush had a different diameter at each end and was s**t!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Here's a picture of my original type. You can see there is no weld on the outside and the middle of the bush has a step in it...

3486q9j.jpg

Looking at your earlier photo the bush looks the same all the way down so I'd say it's a tube welded in.

The easiest way to find out is press it out. If it's original you will just end up with two big holes (but you can only press it out one way if it's original because as I said each end is a different diameter) and if it's later there will be a tube left.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire