free hit
counters
Ordering an Exige V6 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
ChrisBuer

Ordering an Exige V6

Hi everyone,

I'm new here but a regular on the playground. Anyway, I'm looking to place an order for an Exige V6 soon and thought I'd sign up here :)

Lotus is a brand I'm very familiar with (as you'll see below from my previous car pictures) but I'm very excited about the V6. I've got a test drive booked for Saturday at Bell & Corvill with Jamie Matthews and I'm really looking forward to see what the V6 is all about.

My current car is a BMW 1M (tuned to 430bhp / 656nm torque) so I really want something that is going to feel as fast, if not faster and I hope the V6 does this. What I do expect however is that the handling on the V6 will be on another level to the BMW and it'll be the quicker car point to point.

I already have my spec in mind, including the colours and personal touches to make my car unique, but in the meantime, I'll enjoy reading this forum :)

Cheers,

Chris.

Previous Lotus (plus a Caterham for good measure :D)

First proper car back in 1999, a Caterham Superlight that I did 24,000 miles in over 2 years as my only car!

nhzp4.jpg

The replacement, a original S2 but it had the Sport 135 conversion carried out at Hethel.

cfKFU.jpg

Many years later, I ended up getting the Elise SC which was great fun.

fJzAp.jpg

...and this was replaced with a really fun Exige that Lotus Motorsport added their "Cup 260" engine upgrade too.

XzBTk.png

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What a great car history.  What is the spec and special touches you're going for on your new V6?  

The spec I've currently drafted is:

Standard items

·         Premium Sport Pack

·         Race Pack

·         Convenience Pack

·         Air Conditioning

·         Rear Parking Sensors

·         Heated Seats

·         Yellow Contrast Stitching

·         Gloss black wheels

Colour / Paint

·         The following finished in Liquid Yellow (Renault colour)

o   Main body of the car

o   Aluminium spoiler struts

o   LOTUS lettering at rear

·         The follow parts finished in Phantom Black

o   Front access panel

o   Front splitter

o   Rear transom panel

o   Rear spoiler

·         Brake callipers finished in yellow

Other (bespoke) parts

·         Steering wheel finished in alcantara with yellow stitching

·         Removal of “Exige S” rear badges

Edited by ChrisBuer
  • Like 1

Welcome to TLF, great car history.

We've been getting quite a few defectors recently, the playground does seem to be much quieter than it used to be for whatever reason.

I'm not sure it's reasonable for the Exige V6 to feel faster than a tuned 1M in a straight line, those not used to very fast cars tend to exaggerate the V6's performance somewhat. Of course they are quick in a straight line but they don't feel as rapid as heavy hitters like the Nissan GTR, Lamborghini Gallardo or Aston V12 Vantage for example. They don't feel as light and inertia free as an S2 Exige either.

But where they really score over a 1M is in feeling like a shrunken supercar. Until you use the extra performance of a 1M you're just in a BMW 1 series. The Exige feels more special all the time. A 1M can go around corners well. An Exige wants to go around corners all the time. The chassis could easily handle a lot more power in the Lotus tradition. Don't expect some tyre-smoking monster, it's better than that. It's a well balanced package with communication and driver involvement taking centre stage. The Exige S is also remarkably civilised - for an Exige - and much more capable for much longer journeys than its predecessors, not something you are likely to appreciate on a short test drive.

Either way I hope you enjoy your drive. Be sure to let us know how you get on.

:thumbup:

PS did you see the Renault liquid yellow Exige B&C had in? Absolutely stunning. Top choice!

• Like 2

Compare a tuned 1M against a tuned Exige V6 and you're definitively on or above the same level. And remember, turbo-tuning always adds lag, which neither the Exige V6 nor the Komotec tuned Exige S EV430 has.

Exactely what The Pits said; it's the handling / cornering ability that is mind blowing.

Friend of mine has a F10 M5.  Fast in a straight line, until 100 kph only marginally slower than my Exige.  Above that marginally faster... but man oh man, when we get to the twisty bends: game over

You'll enjoy the car for sure!  Puts a smile on my face everytime

Edited by Milton1

Thanks all and thanks for the welcome :)

To pick up on a few of the points above and also a few of my own thoughts.

The 1M

My 1M is a great car and a lot of fun. However it's still a four seater coupe and as fast as it is, it struggles to put the power down well. That said, when it does put the power down, it feels mighty in a straight line, especially with the wallop of torque that you get. Given that I've lost around £3000 on the original value of the car since purchasing it over 3 years ago, it seemed a good time to sell and move back to the Lotus.

Regarding the comment above around lag. In M-mode there is no lag and I really mean that. It's instant power that most people think is a big NA lump driving the car!

The Lotus

I was a little apprehensive of going back to a Lotus again if I'm honest. This was mainly due to the fact that it might feel "very much of the same thing" again. I've had the Exige 240/260 and I just wondered if the V6 would feel very similar to this car again...I questioned whether the V6 was really a step up from my old car. 

Everything I read suggests that it is, so I'm going to test drive the car on Saturday and hopefully if it does wow me, then I can place my order. I also have a test drive booked in a Cayman GTS the following weekend and whilst I don't think I'll go for this car, as it's around the same sort of price, I should probably have a look for good measure.

Above all though, what I really miss is that ability to throw the car around a roundabout, or put the power down as you exit a good bend and feeling the tyres gripping and digging in, then catapulting you out the other side. The 1M is a great car, but if you tried this with it, the traction control light would just flash and the power would drain like a dying battery. Turn the traction control off and it just spins up the tyres. 

Finally, and this is not a factor at all for me wanting the V6, but I do miss the pantomime of driving a Lotus on the road. When I had my old Exige, I used to get people waving (nice waving, not the two fingered variations haha), taking photos on their phones, giving me the thumbs up etc. It was a real head turner and it felt very special amongst the boring dull grey and black rep mobiles.

I think with a Liquid Yellow one, I won't have any problems replicating that sense of occasion again amongst other road goers ;) 

Congratulations. :)

My 987 Cayman S is making way for a V6 Exige S Roadster as soon as Lotus finish building it (sometime in the next couple of weeks hopefully). The 987 is a lovely car and I've thoroughly enjoyed owning it but the Exige S makes it feel like a lazy, inert GT.

Edited by BillTheButcher

Wow you must be getting really excited.  I drove the V6 when it launched and have been thinking about one ever since.  Pretty sure that I'm going to be ordering one soon once I've decided on spec and had another drive at B&Cs.  

What do you actually get from the race pack?  Just a switch for the exhaust bypass?

Like you I also plan to not have the Exige S badge fitted to the rear, but probably won't go as crazy with the colour.

Welcome to TLF. They look amazing in Liquid Yellow, great choice!

That 1M has held its value incredibly well. There were stories of premiums changing hands not so long ago.

No chance of the Exige or the Cayman being able to repeat that, especially when the Cayman GT4 comes out.

The Exige in that spec must come to a few quid too but I bet you the Cayman GTS comes out higher once you've added to Porsche's enormous profits in their confleecerator. I was told they make 25% on average out of every car. Nearly all of it is on extras. VW makes an average profit of something like 2%.

That 1M has held its value incredibly well. There were stories of premiums changing hands not so long ago.

No chance of the Exige or the Cayman being able to repeat that, especially when the Cayman GT4 comes out.

The Exige in that spec must come to a few quid too but I bet you the Cayman GTS comes out higher once you've added Porsche's enormous profits in their confleecerator. I was told they make 25% on average out of every car. Nearly all of it is on extras. VW makes an average profit of something like 2%.

Sure, I don't expect that the Exige / Cayman, or any other new car that I look at now will hold it's value like my 1M has. That said, I don't buy cars to worry too much about the depreciation, I buy them to enjoy as cars are an interest and hobby to me. 

The Exige I've specced is about £4000 cheaper than the Cayman GTS I've specced, so very similar by all accounts.

I'm really looking forward to my drive at the weekend and I can't wait to see how it compares not only to my current car, but also my previous Exige. 

I just want a car that looks great, has great acceleration but above all, has superb handling that makes me laugh out loud.....and I think the V6 will do exactly that!  

It will certainly look stunning in liquid yellow with the black bits.

Post up your thoughts after the test drive, particularly on how it compares to your previous S2 Exige 240/260.

Hi, you must know Shane aka Aussie in London? Followed him in his 1M (plus an M3) on a decent run. The Exige happily sat behind them without any stress at all...though if you're following some fat tired cars remember to get some paintshield first....think you'll enjoy the V6 :)

Stu

Hi, you must know Shane aka Aussie in London? Followed him in his 1M (plus an M3) on a decent run. The Exige happily sat behind them without any stress at all...though if you're following some fat tired cars remember to get some paintshield first....think you'll enjoy the V6 :)Stu

Yes I know Shane. He's got the same colour 1M as me although I don't think he's been remapped. However he is running modified suspension I think. I'd be interested to hear more about how the Exige compared. I assume the corners you would have been all over it but how did you fair on the straights?

Like I said before, the 1M has been a fantastic car but it is compromised in certain areas mainly the suspension. Don't get me wrong it handles well for what it is but you don't get that feeling of ultimate grip like you do with a Lotus.

I'm really interested to see how the V6 performs!!

Hi Chris Welcome! Have just taken delivery of my V6 (LF1) and also have a Caterham (R300) which I have to admit has been relegated to the lock up so I can keep the Exige close :-)

I'm sure I've seen you post the picture of the White Exige on SELOC? Looks familiar

Danny

Hi Chris Welcome! Have just taken delivery of my V6 (LF1) and also have a Caterham (R300) which I have to admit has been relegated to the lock up so I can keep the Exige close :-)

I'm sure I've seen you post the picture of the White Exige on the playground? Looks familiar

Danny

Thanks Danny :) Yes I have posted a photo of my old Exige before on the "other site" ;) and that photo also made their calendar one year!

Test drive of the V6 is tomorrow and I can't wait!!

I'd be interested to hear more about how the Exige compared. I assume the corners you would have been all over it but how did you fair on the straights?

Straight line the Exige is a bit quicker. Off the line and up to normal speeds the Exige has an advantage, in any gear its also quicker. Once up to silliness it's still quicker but not significantly. Some seem to think the Exige has warp drive, it hasn't, and whilst fast it's not eye ball popping.

However invariably you encounter a bend and here the Exige is all over the 1M. Likewise under brakes. In fact it got to a point where I noticed that when motoring on a bit you can get caught out, one minute there's a nice gap between you and the other car, next second you're examining the soot in their tail pipes.

But I think in the 1M you can go quickly not long after buying it. In the Exige it's taken longer to learn but you'll be quicker, and have a bigger grin :)

On the track....no idea... :) however our big sisters in their la di da Cups will tell you about that :)

Enjoy your drive, if it's like today it'll be ..interesting :)

Stu

What happened was that I was very impressed with the car and Jamie at B&C certainly knows how to show the car off. What impressed me the most was the traction in damp conditions particularly down a pretty poorly surfaced road. The car rode the bumps as if it was gliding on air and the feedback through the wheel....oh man you just forgot how much information you get. I was grinning ear to ear the whole time...and all the way home.

It doesn't have the in gear pull that my 1M has but perhaps I need to drive it different and drop a gear rather than leaving it in a higher gear like I do with the 1M. That said, the 1M can't beat it it for traction, turn in and overall handling. To be fair the 1M it's actually too far off handling wise, but the initial turn in and grip is so strong in the V6 that you can get on the power a lot earlier to fire you out of the corner.

Also down the same bumpy road, the 1M would have been grounding out and the traction light would have been going crazy.

So did I order one? No I didn't but that's only because I wanted to work through the options and numbers before doing so. The good news is that I did that last night and have now emailed Jamie to say that I would like to place my order today :)

Edited by ChrisBuer

Congrats!

Hangar 111 do the Komotec 430ps conversion...

And see if you can get a ride in Neil's on Seloc :)

Glad you enjoyed the car, supercharged power is much more linear than a Turbo, that turns out to be a good thing and even contributes to the way the Exige can put its power down so efficiently. BMW are the masters of turning ordinary cars into performance cars but if you don't need the extra practicality it's always better to start with a purpose built performance car in the first place.