free hit
counters
Autocar interview with JMG - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Autocar interview with JMG

Not hugely revealing but a sense that Lotus are definitely in recovery mode and on the up. Sensible short term plans (less weight, more power, lower build cost, more variants on current platform) plus a 'surprise' in 2016MY that continues the lightweight hard core theme established by the 211.

He's no time for thoughts of all new models in the short term though, specifically dismissing a new Esprit. What does sound intriguing is the facelifted Evora for next year. Taking on board JMGs comments and if rumours are correct, it will be 400bhp plus, 15% lighter, new interior, narrower sills and new front and rear based on but not as aggressive as the GTE. Even I might be tempted......

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This sort of attitude worries me. Lotus Cars has never been a particularly financially successful business, so why stick to formula which appeals to so few? Chapman was poised to take the company furt

He is probably talking to "us" enthusiasts, but it certainly transpires that he understands the Lotus DNA and what is required to pursue that path nowadays. Making money at the same time. Pragmatic an

The plan is (was) 2,400 for FY14-15 and 3,000 for FY15-16 initially.

:cry: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1070565_new-lotus-esprit-is-dead

its not Autocar but also interresing post! the heading ist not very nice

I thought it was surprisingly revealing actually. 15% more power for the Evora which will work out at around 400bhp. I thought the idea for looking at all the parts to look for ways to lighten every single component was brilliant and exactly what they should be doing. I bet that will result in some serious reductions overall. The hint about the 211 replacement was very exciting but I wish the term 'SUV' wouldn't keep being mentioned. Thank goodness they don't have the money to waste on such nonsense at the moment.

Overall it was the most sensible thing I've read about Lotus for years. If they focus on improving the quality and reducing the weight of the existing range, cars will fly out of the showrooms.

Until they ruin it all with a brain dead SUV, we could well be in for something of a new golden age over the next few years. I reckon the next wave of cars might just be the best Lotus will have ever made.

:thumbup:

Really a very encouraging interview, let's hope he can pull it through. But the approach does seem well footed and down to earth. I'm really eager to see that "new" Evora in March. 

The SUV idea doesn't worry me at all, JMG was there when VW/Porsche did it, so he knows what to look out for. VW funded Porsche to develop the Tuareg, which spawned the Cayenne. If Proton/DRB have the funds to launch an SUV, why shouldn't Lotus be the party to develop it? Then, have the chassis built in Malaysia and finalized as a Lotus in Hethel.

Hopefully it ould be more along the lines of the Macan and not the truck called Cayenne.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

He is probably talking to "us" enthusiasts, but it certainly transpires that he understands the Lotus DNA and what is required to pursue that path nowadays. Making money at the same time. Pragmatic and focused. From "this side" he does look like the man for the job.

It would be good to know if he manages to have the staff and management buying into his plans, after these tough times in the factory.

• Like 1

Really a very encouraging interview, let's hope he can pull it through. But the approach does seem well footed and down to earth. I'm really eager to see that "new" Evora in March. 

The SUV idea doesn't worry me at all, JMG was there when VW/Porsche did it, so he knows what to look out for. VW funded Porsche to develop the Tuareg, which spawned the Cayenne. If Proton/DRB have the funds to launch an SUV, why shouldn't Lotus be the party to develop it? Then, have the chassis built in Malaysia and finalized as a Lotus in Hethel.

Hopefully it ould be more along the lines of the Macan and not the truck called Cayenne.

Well if the SUV is to be built, it will no doubt based itself on the work Proton will realize on the Youngman T5 which is initially the Lotus APX prototype from a few years back, which means that it will have plenty of Lotus DNA already and Lotus will be able to redesign key elements and tune the car to suit the needs of their customers.

Fans will also enjoy the return of the Eleven; I must say that a pure toy car based on the Exige S but without windshield and roof should be quite a sensible yet scary thing to drive on a track.

Nothing is said about the Evora cabrio though which does worry me a bit. However the 15% power increases he mentions does match the GR-FSE (Direct injected) specs.  

In anyway, there's no rush, the goal is to be stable at 3000 cars for a few years which is sensible and a bit of an undersell as we know that the company has tooled for Evora alone to sell 2000 units a year. Exige is already exceeding the 500 units sold yearly and should sell well in the thousand units and Elise is still able to sell by the hundreds too. So my guess is that he wants to exceed that 3000 mark but want it to come as a good surprise.

The company could be ready to break the 4000/4500 mark by 2016 provided the dealer network and the US cars are ready. 

Edited by NedaSay

The plan is (was) 2,400 for FY14-15 and 3,000 for FY15-16 initially.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 1 month later...

There's an interview with him in this month's issue (January) of Car Magazine in which he says pretty much the same but is very supportive of the Evora.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/Lotus-Evora-crossover-roadster-to-spearhead-expanded-Evora-family/

He also says the new V8 never ran for any sustained period on the test bench and that 500bhp in a 1600kg car is not a Lotus. Good for him.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

That's reassuring to hear, however, the Lotus Carlton may have broken with Lotus tradition but that didn't stop it being a great car. To outgun the current M5 to the same degree now would take well over 650bhp. It was only 13bhp down on the Testarossa of the day, that would put a modern equivalent at 717bhp next to the F12! Not a pure Lotus but give me that over an SUV any day!

For the record I think 500bhp in a 1400kg car is perfectly acceptable ;)

• Like 1

Not sure I like JMG comparing the Evora to 100K cars if this will be his new target price range. Sure hope that doesn't happen!

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

The facelifted Evora is a pretty major upgrade: increasing the Evora S's power to weight ratio (240bhp/tonne) to an Exige S beating 330bhp/tonne, improved access/egress, interior and updated exterior.

Looking on PistonHeads classifieds, the  current Evora S is going from £67-70,000; the Jag F-type R and R AWD are £86,880 and £91,650; a PDK equipped 4WD 911 Carrera S is £91,000 (although considerably more with options).

Realistically, I can't see that the updated Evora will be priced at only £10,000 more than the current Evora S - what would that do to current Evora S and used Evora S sales/prices? My shot-in-the-dark guess would be in the £85-90,000 range but I'm interested to see where they pitch it as the GTE models with only one year's warrantee and a standard 345 bhp have obviously sold easily enough in the £80,000+ range.

that 500bhp in a 1600kg car is not a Lotus. Good for him.

This sort of attitude worries me. Lotus Cars has never been a particularly financially successful business, so why stick to formula which appeals to so few? Chapman was poised to take the company further upmarket and this will have meant moving away from featherweight quirky specials.

Surely common sense dictates you sell what people want to buy? Only then would you have the financial luxury of producing oddities which only appeal to the anoraks (who then don't buy them because their 15 year old car is "better").

• Like 2

The facelifted Evora is a pretty major upgrade: increasing the Evora S's power to weight ratio (240bhp/tonne) to an Exige S beating 330bhp/tonne, improved access/egress, interior and updated exterior.

Looking on PistonHeads classifieds, the  current Evora S is going from £67-70,000; the Jag F-type R and R AWD are £86,880 and £91,650; a PDK equipped 4WD 911 Carrera S is £91,000 (although considerably more with options).

Realistically, I can't see that the updated Evora will be priced at only £10,000 more than the current Evora S - what would that do to current Evora S and used Evora S sales/prices? My shot-in-the-dark guess would be in the £85-90,000 range but I'm interested to see where they pitch it as the GTE models with only one year's warrantee and a standard 345 bhp have obviously sold easily enough in the £80,000+ range.

I sure hope it doesn't go so high. The GTE's actually aren't selling that well, it seems there are still quite a few available (maybe less RHD, but the there were only 6). And they were a unique edition with 20 cars worldwide.

My guess is a a price hike of 10-15% max, meaning at most £80K. Anything above that and Lotus will lose too many existing customers, who are the essential asset to gain new ones.

There were 4 RHD and 16 LHD.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.