free hit
counters
Engine upgrade - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
makkyh

Engine upgrade

I apologise if this should be on the engine/gearbox shelf but I was wondering if anyone has had the engine rebuild Lotus Bits feature on their website. I have put this here as I would like any views on altering the originality of the car overall. My thoughts are that it is still a Lotus engine but with tweaks, albeit expensive tweaks.

I was also going to ask if the increase BHP drastically transformed the performance of the car. I am guessing it will be a different beast entirely. Anyway, any thoughts and experience would be greatly appreciated.

If I do get bumped into engines and gearboxes, no offence taken. : )

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

IMG_1888_zps32b630e4.jpg

I think this qualifies....

Give it 4 days and I will post up a film and tell you what it is like.

2.5 litre 912 lump built for torque

That's pretty!

That is pretty... it looks as through you have put a lot of effort into this with lots of attention to detail. is there a thread on your work to date?

Well, if it goes as well as it looks.....

So was the rebuild done through Lotus bits, and I am guessing its the stage 3/4 ?

The block and head is lotus bits 2.5 built for torque. 

Blog is here

http://www.lotusexcel.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6388

Cam covers, oil filler and expansion tank is powdercoated candy apple red.

As soon as I get back from Norway this week... will be my first test drive.  Many years of effort about to come to a head.

Can't wait!!!!

• Like 1

Just been through you build, my word stunning, not overlooked one single thing. Top work and really hope your first test runs go well. Look forward to seeing this in the flesh  :clap:

http://vid742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/GR888/Brians%20Lotus%20den/ethel%20test%20drive%201_zps5uxkpjup.mp4

Finally got round to sorting out the film clip from the first test drive.

It was a good drive back from Birmingham this week :D

There have been a serious amount of tweaks to get the engine to this state and running with all the hardwear.  It can barely be considered an original engine but it is a very sweet thing.

You can run this engine on carbs but it seems a real shame to run a high end racing engine on old tech.

The problems you will find....

Any weaknesses in suspension, braking, gearbox, etc etc. will be shown up relatively quickly.

My gearbox was ok and had 50k on it before the engine rebuild...erm needs rebuilding now. 

LSD with this setup is HIGHLY recommended to keep power under control.

The standard excel brakes will be destroyed very quickly with this engine too.

Lightened flywheel with uprated clutch also required.

The list of parts gets very looooong

Edited by Fueltheburn

I was also going to ask if the increase BHP drastically transformed the performance of the car. I am guessing it will be a different beast entirely. Anyway, any thoughts and experience would be greatly appreciated.

More power dramatically improves the Elite. The balance is already there and with enough power, one can put out the rear end or take it back in during hard cornering. Very predictable.

My 4.9 liter Buick aluminum V8, was built for torque (360 ft lbs ) and is a perfect compliment to the great road manners of the Elite's finely tuned suspension and chassis. I have driven both a stock and now modified car and there is simply no comparison. Similar power to weight as a small block AC Cobra so not for the faint of heart and too much for some but a great deal of motoring fun.

Richard