free hit
counters
Bonnet fitting - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Have just got round to doing this. The bonnet is siting proud by about 4 mm at the front corners, has anyone come across this before? Maybe left the factory like that.post-17315-0-15293000-1415512591.jpgpost-17315-0-08913300-1415512603.jpg

Don't know why the pictures always invert! Never going to fit in Qs accessories at this rate!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had some issues like this and I know your car is a little different to mine but the following areas are common I would have thought.

Firstly make sure your pods are correctly fitting.

Then check the mounting points for the bonnet hinges have not partially de-bonded.

Lastly, is the rubber seal original or replaced? If its replaced, is it the correct one and it is sitting exactly where it should?

IIRC, there are rubber pads at the corners that the bonnet sits on...they are height adjustable, I think...screw in and out? Worth a look...

Got a new rubber seal,no pads on corners. Have adjusted pods they fit well. Seem like it may have left the factory like this?

It's a series 1 with garden gate hinges - it's supposed to look like that ;)

You could always do what I did and remake the lower 3" of the bonnet and then re-profile the bonnet so that it matches the contour of the body before you bond it in...

33om829.jpg

It's probably a bit late now but I doubt you'll get it to fit any other way.

10yf7k3.jpg

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Yep ideally should have been done before spraying. Difficult when taking over part way thru a project. Have found it's very close only 4 mm out, light pressure and it's in line - may try clamping and see if it takes up shape. It's been in storage and might have distorted very slightly. Else will re rivet and reglass rear only to achieve the profile. There's always a solution with enough time and effort!

The fit is never going to be perfect, as Ed says. The hinges should have slots for the bolts so there is some adjustment there. It's a bit fiddly but that's how I got mine to fit as well as possible. One corner still stands slightly proud though..

Pete

I never got mine to sit perfectly flat. There is a slight bit of adjustment on the hinge itself. There is a nut and washer before the bolt part of the hinge goes through the car body in the pod hole. If you tighten the nut towards the bonnet on the pod side before it goes through then you might be able to pull it down a bit. Also make sure you aren't using excessively thick washers and nuts especially if you're replaced the hardware.

On my car the hinges had come loose between the too layers of fiberglass and were flapping about, if this has previously happened to your and they've been repaired closer to the bottom then the top layer then this may also be contributing to it sitting proud.

Brian M.

I've got the S2 type brackets for twin headlamp motor system. Had another look today. Currently have 5 kg weight on bonnet edge hoping it will retain shape after a week or so, as it's very close to fitting. Will try heating gently. If this doesn't work. Will make a gig and reglass lower section to achieve the required profile. Thanks for all the hints.

Heating it might solve your problem for a while but your hood or any fiberglass part has a memory. The next time the car soaks in the sun it will probably pop back to its initial state. I would try to make it fit mechanically for a more permanent fix.

Good luck

Have you checked the shims,I had the same issue and in the end I cut the hinges out of the fiberglas and refixed them, they then nsat perfect.

It's very very common on Esprit'

It's a shame but the quality of panel fit wasn't the cars strong point!

Have been told by a Lotus expert the riveted metal strip on the back of the bonnet retains the curvature. It need to be removed and the wholes re glassed. Then the bonnet then is bent to the correct shape and the metal strip riveted in the new position. So will try this and post the result on here.