free hit
counters
Cam cover refurb - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Cam cover refurb

Wilf

I need to replace the gasket on the exhaust cam cover(saddle type) and would like to repaint them. Question is which paint stripper is best for what looks like original paint?

Also has anyone just used normal black paint rather than crinkle stuff?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Realised it wrinkle rather than crinkle and a whole load of previous threads pop up. Is it a pre requisite to bake if wrinkle used? I have limited options for that so a smooth finish may be the one to go for. ( gas oven )

I think cooking is mandatory, I taped the aluminum surfaces and sanblasted them. You're lucky, yours are black.

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

I've never bothered with cooking the cam covers...this stuff just seems to work....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=sperex+wrinkle&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC2.A0.H0.Xwrinkle+paint&_nkw=wrinkle+paint&_sacat=0

Red or Black, widely available. Nitromors strips the old stuff, a wire brush in an electric drill prepares the surface, then spray the paint.... Get some rubber gloves and a piece of rag or suchlike and you can wipe the still wet paint off the shiny bits with a finger. Polish once dry and wrinkly....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I thought I would try some screwfix own brand paint stripper. My suspicion that it did not smell bad enough seems to be correct as it does not seem to be touching the old paint....

Be careful with that VHT paint, if you spray it in an unheated garage it wont wrinkle.

You can help the wrinkling with a hot air gun though. You have to spray quite a lot of it on, for it to work.

When I did my plenum cover (non-Lotus) I had to have 3 tries at it before I got it right.

Wrinkled up fine in my unheated workshop.....could have been in summer, though....(!) Does need a thick coating to work. You could always stick it in the oven.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

I used some metal-ready as I already had some. Worked just fine but not sure if its necessary.

At the end of the day, anything you can do in preparation will be time well spent.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

"At the end of the day, anything you can do in preparation will be time well spent."

SO true.......

Prime first, I had some epoxy primer on hand when I did mine. I agree with Simon and John, prep is time well spend, it's been 3 years now and they still look new. Heat is an option but what is few minutes in the oven (when the wife is out!) To cook it hard.

Luc

Edited by Mesprit87

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!