free hit
counters
popping out of reverse - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
simon a-b

popping out of reverse

Hi all

I have an issue with the car popping out of reverse...

Crossgate is pretty good, but not perfect.  You need to lift to get reverse, but I'm still a bit too far over as you can get 'caught' on your way to 5th by the lever moving a bit too far to the right.  If I adjust this out I have trouble getting first, so I'm happy to live with the 5th gear issue...

The problem I've got is the lever just jumping out of reverse, accompanied by horrid griding noises, always when people are watching me reverse out of a parking spot!

I wonder if the trim around the lever is pushing it a bit.  My next option is to adjust the rod a bit, to try to move the horizontal gate a bit further up.  This might mean I can revisit the crossgate again!

Has anyone else had this issue? 

Cheers all, I'm loving having the car on the road!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Crossgate is pretty good, but not perfect.  You need to lift to get reverse, but I'm still a bit too far over as you can get 'caught' on your way to 5th by the lever moving a bit too far to the right.  If I adjust this out I have trouble getting first, so I'm happy to live with the 5th gear issue...

The problem I've got is the lever just jumping out of reverse, 

This sounds as if you're not fully engaging the gear because of too much play in the rod bushes, that's the rods that push & pull it in & out of gear. Replacing these, part number SJ079F0002 from SJSportscars are a cheap & easy fix.  :thumbup:

Jonwat has probably got it...but it can also be caused by a broken or weakened detent spring on the reverse selector in the gearbox. Changing all the rod joints is always a good idea...look at the transfer lever too, on the RH engine mount. The whole rod linkage gets floppy with age and wear.

Thanks for suggestions... I probably should have mentioned the full IGUS bearing job I did on the rod/translator linkage, smooth, precise... no issues there.  There is a mm or two at the clevis joint which could be better...

Today I felt the tolerance between trim and lever in reverse and it's hard up against the trim so I'll try the rod length adjustment first.  Rod and crossgate cable off the box feels fine.  No issues with second gear though. 

I've had all the trim out and retrimmed, and the engine and gearbox mounts are new so logically it could be the rod... As you've said many times John, I'll just iterate away...