free hit
counters
Do our cars have an LSD? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Do our cars have an LSD?

Drfatz

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the unit that PUK have is a Quiafe and it's an ATB (Automatic Torque Biasing) Differential.

The Sport300 is the only 4 pot with a diff as standard :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I believe the unit that PUK have is a Quiafe and it's an ATB (Automatic Torque Biasing) Differential.

The Sport300 is the only 4 pot with a diff as standard :lol:

Not true.

The USA only X180-R had a ZF clutch type LSD (doesn't require back torque to function) Some say it's better for racing, though it does eventually require a rebuild.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Here's a question...

I was told by a main man at Lotus that they tested the Elise/Exige/Europa (take your pick :) ) with an LSD and it was SLOWER around the track than without! :o:lol:

If that's the case... Why do they get fitted to race cars?!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Here's a question...

I was told by a main man at Lotus that they tested the Elise/Exige/Europa (take your pick :) ) with an LSD and it was SLOWER around the track than without! :):lol:

I have heard this as well...however with plans for 350+ bhp I am going to put in an LSD so that all my ponies get down to the road :o

Safety and control.

Close the diff and you get more stability and power down (dragsters have locked diffs) open it and you get better cornering control as the rear wheels are allowed to change speeds freely and with little resistance.

It's like asking why dont you use qualifying tyres in a 12hr endurance race ?

Just not suited for the application in the Elise, I bet the GT3 racer has one though !

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I have been searching around but can't seem to figure out if my 1990 SE has an LSD. If it dose not dose anyone know who makes one? I checked with Quiafe they don't.

Cheers,

Graham

Hi to all!

Why LSD??? Esprit is a super-car. No fun with LSD.

rgds, B

LOTUS Esprit Turbo SE, 1990

P.U.K. racing turbo charger

ECU chip 1.1 bar

Motorsport racing fuel pump

RC racing High Flow secondary injectors

RC racing High Flow primary injectors

custom made titanium free flow exhaust

Electric CC pump

Double size Chargecooler, heavy duty version

Racing air filter

BOV

Crankcase Breather filter

Ram air converison

Uprated Valeo clutch with 25% more torque

KW85 HT leads, IW22 spark plugs

S4S wheels, front mask, rear spoiler

Here's a question...

I was told by a main man at Lotus that they tested the Elise/Exige/Europa (take your pick :P ) with an LSD and it was SLOWER around the track than without! :o:P

I would like to know what the purpose of the testing was. The way you drive an LSD equiped vehicle is different to the way you drive an open diff. A race car LSD, has two modes, power-on and power-off. The ramp angle adjustment for the two are tuned for the handling and track type. A race car is driven on the throttle ideally at all times, therefore the steering control is very much by the throttle. The front steering is ideally used as little as necessary as more than necessary is slowing you down.

A road car should not have an LSD as it is driven differently, and would be more dangerous with an LSD (snapping into under/oversteer more unpredictably). Bibs is quite right, the solution for a road car should be an ATB, which is there to bias torque to the wheel with most grip, and is thus safer.

I had QUAIFE ATB LSD in my S4s, bought from GTO engineering. Very reasonable price than other source. I think, it's good for 300+hp car. Otherwise, it will reduce top speed. On 2nd and 3rd gear, with throttle ground to the floor, car just go straight. Without it, car tends to slice, loosing rear grip.