free hit
counters
Dartford Crossing - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Dartford Crossing

Bibs

Rather than make it free as they promised all those years ago, the price is being increased again to £2.50 for a car (from £1 in 2008) and you have to pay online or by phone (in in a shop or payzone, whatever that may be) as of Sunday 30th November.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/cost-of-motoring/dartford-crossing-dart-charge.html

Don't get caught out, the fine for not paying is £105, which is lovely and proportionate.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mt wifey T told me about this as she had heard it on the radio and as we will be coming that way for the Xmas do.

She said it was to reduce congestion? In my limited experience the paying isnt the part which is the holdup, its actually going over the bridge or through the tunnel? 

Also it assumes you will plan you journey in advance. Could cause all kinds of mayhem if a driver suddenly realises close to the crossing they havent paid and dont want a £105 fine. I mean we all seen it when people miss their exits on motorways.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

It's the queue to pay that causes the congestion, can be up to 10 miles in each direction in my experience. This will alleviate that, you can see why they're charging more what with all those booth staff losing their jobs and no more maintenance required... :huh:

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It's the queue to pay that causes the congestion, can be up to 10 miles in each direction in my experience. This will alleviate that, you can see why they're charging more what with all those booth staff losing their jobs and no more maintenance required... :huh:

oh you old cynic, I'm sure their only doing for carbon emissions or the such like flannel

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Do they still run traffic lights in that 'red light wave' so we have to use more petrol?

Evora NA

well they changed the A127 to 50mph limit, it wasn't the 70mph that was the issue it was the idiots trying to do a ton in rush hour, they should have just enforced that. it is now hard to pull on at junctions as both lanes chug along at 50mph with no ability for people to move over.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

they know they have a captive Audience. Sucks. I go over it several times a year.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Keep the Kent fuckers sarf of the river, it's part of France anyway! Put immigration control at Dartford with the booth staff, shoot whether they've paid or not!  

• Like 1

Dave.

I know where you live Eds... :lol:

Evora NA

Mt wifey T told me about this as she had heard it on the radio and as we will be coming that way for the Xmas do.

She said it was to reduce congestion? In my limited experience the paying isnt the part which is the holdup, its actually going over the bridge or through the tunnel? 

Also it assumes you will plan you journey in advance. Could cause all kinds of mayhem if a driver suddenly realises close to the crossing they havent paid and dont want a £105 fine. I mean we all seen it when people miss their exits on motorways.

Buddsy

you have until midnight the next day to pay.Fine if paid in 14 days is £35 plus the toll charge. Seem to think 86% of foreign vehicles will pay.Traffic lights and barriers will still be in use for the tunnel

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

The percentages on the fines over the original crossing fee is way above the Wonga rates that the government have just banned.

One rule for one blah blah. But saying that isn't the bridge now owned by some Johny Foreigner.

chipp

• 2 months later...

"That's why the first penalty charge notice issued for any vehicle for non-payment of the charge will offer the driver an extra 14 days to pay - and pay for any crossings they have made since."

Phew Ive been crappin myself since the TLF Xmas do on the 3rd. I came back over on the Sunday and forgot to pay when I got home!

I was guttered and paid when I remembered on the Thursday.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

• 2 years later...
On 12/11/2014 at 12:50, Bibs said:

how has the congestion been since?

been revealed that 1,160,000 foreign fines have not been paid.only 81 million pounds worth.

Well, the contract is owned by the French company Sanef, so no tears for unpaid revenue. As for congestion, either there are 2 million more cars a day going through there or the removal of the toll booths doesn't feel much different Northbound. Southbound seems ok?

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• Gold FFM

I done that journey for 7 years Kent to Hemel Hempstead office. Absolute killer you need to be through the tunnel at 5am and do not do Friday  afternoons ever. For some reason Friday morning is the easiest. The worse was a Friday afternoon 6.5 hours to do 63miles. 

Went through Saturday morning....................eventually. Queue started at the exit from the M2, and no sign of any roadworks or other problems, either. Worst I've see for a while, couldn't understand it, as most other times it's been so much better.

As for the 'lost' foreign payments, with the reduction in staff after the abolition of the toll booths, I can't help but wonder if they're still better off, even with the non-payments.

And getting the soap-box out, is it now just a cash-cow? I see they're dropping the charges for the Severn Bridge, so why the hell do we have to pay for Dartford? Any road that's part of the UK network should be free to use, once we've paid the tax. That said, road tax is no longer called 'Road Fund Licence' like what it used to be, it's 'Vehicle Excise Duty', so presumably the change in terminology means they don't have to spend it on the roads. Rant over.

Margate Exotics.

• 1 year later...