free hit
counters
Looking at a well sorted 89 Esprit Turbo as a Daily Driver - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Tirefriar

Looking at a well sorted 89 Esprit Turbo as a Daily Driver

I need serious advice: I'm looking at an 89 Esprit Turbo, low miles, well sorted.

I've always been attracted to Lotus Esprit partly because of its super car looks. I'm currently considering an 89 Esprit Turbo. Unfortunately I know very little about these cars - their strong and weak points. My daily commute is less than 20 miles total and I'm looking to use it as my DAily Driver. Will the Esprit be up to the task? What maintenance, besides 3k mile oil changes is required? Am I heading for a money pit or is a long lasting relationship with the local British car mechanic in my future?

Up until recently I had a 69 Alfa Romeo Berlina as a DD. I hear horror stories about Lotus Esprit but from people who have never owned one. I heard the same stories about Alfa Romeo, but as it stands, Alfas are quite reliable when they are maintained properly. With older Nord engined cars its simple and can be done with few wrenches in your driveway. Which brings to another point - how "service hungry" are the Esprit, particularly the 88-99 YM?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I ran my 83 na as a daily for about 4 years, but as I cycle to work it was still mostly weekend albeit all weathers and lived outside. I had no real problems but did stick to the servicing regime to the letter and that was a bit grim when it needed doing in bad weather.

The only potential issue is that you need something at short notice and it has to work the next day. I tended to keep spare service items on the shelf and changed parts earlier than probably necessary, but it always worked when needed.

Yours will have the upgraded injectors, so you won't have to worry about the Bosch units.  And you're in a sunny State so you won't have to worry about the rain / rot so much.  They can be used as a daily drive, but it's a 25 year old car and it will need looking after.  If you want it to be reliable take it easy for the first mile or so and let the Turbo cool down after a long journey, before you switch it off.  When something goes wrong, get it fixed, don't leave it.  And unless you're handy with a spanner, find a good mechanic that knows the car and won't rip you off.  As long as you're ok with that, go for it.

Thanks for the advice. I am learning as I go. At this early stage I'm getting a feeling that these are one of the least complex super cars out there. I reached out to an owner of a 91 Esprit but yet to hear back from him/her... Ideally I'd like to trade my 69 Alfa Spider 1750 for a nicely sorted one. The search continues... In the States, not too many people know what Lotus is - good for me as the demand is low and prices are more than reasonable.