free hit
counters
SU fuel pump - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

SU fuel pump

Lotusfab

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This may or may not be of any use to you but as nobody else has posted this was the Su pump on my stevens 88 before it all got rebuilt.  Might be similar, might not I have no idea sorry.

post-1261-0-47359400-1416142039.jpg

Only got a metal plate. Plan to bolt the pump on directly using BSF bolts. The pump has rubber sealing rings as shown in the picture, planning to replace. The connectors are straight and not banjo. Has anyone used straight connectors with the rubber seals and if so do the joints leak?[doesnt seal satisfactory to me!attachment=29825:image.jpg]

The plate is at the back of picture.

My car has the S2 fuel pump arrangement fitted in bulkhead on passenger side.

post-17315-0-24863000-1416210684.jpg

Have solved this problem. Will post the details here so anyone who has this problem will have the solution.the unions on the pump shown in the are incorrect. They will never seal correctly as there needs to be a flat surface to seal with the rubber seal on the SU pump side. The correct union is available from several suppliers, I used Burlen, they are on the internet.post-17315-0-03794400-1416561351.jpg

Don't even have an SU pump on mine but it does remind me of the one I use to have on a 1951 Jag MkV. Plenty of pleasure there, changing a diaphragm...

That fitting really seems like the proper & easy fix.

Gotta love this Forum!

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

Well one step forward two steps back. Even though these are the correct union for the pump apparently Lotus did use the original unions, I had in the picture, sealed with thread sealant. For the engineers amongst us a very poor solution. If I has a lathe I would just make my own!

Can't you just find a B-nut that fits and re-flare, after all the pressure in there is not that high?

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

The internal diameter of the new unions is smaller than that of the fuel lines, so they will not fit directly. A female/ male adaptor is needed to increase the internal diameter, Still amazed Lotus didn't make a part Identical to the above with the correct diameter for the fuel line, or maybe they did, but the only fuel lines available now have a larger diameter? Will need someone with an original S1 to give us the answer?

OInce again I recommend my favourite automotive plumbing suppliers...

http://www.thinkauto.com/

They're in Isleworth...you're in Surrey....drive over with your bits and their parts counter should sort you out.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I used to be in Kew and they were just down the road....made up a full set of fuel hoses while I waited, and seem to be able to supply any plumbing needs for vehicles; very helpful, too!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 3 months later...

The original S1 had two different fittings on the fuel pump. The inlet is a regular banjo bolt (which comes out the pump at a right angle A079L4009F) and the outlet is a straight adapter A079L6007F which fits onto the 'Y' shape fuel lines SJ907E0067.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Went down to think auto. Got some 10 mm aluminium fuel pipe and a AN elbow connector. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm getting closer to finishing this. They did not have the connector BSP to fit the SU pump. So I ordered one off ebay. It fits the SU pump but not the AN fiting. I ordered the wrong AN size. Didn't realise the AN sizing refers to the Outer diameter of the pipe it fits and not the thread size with BSP fittings. I will get it right eventually, once I have collected all the AN sizes!After wasting a lot of cash on fittings that don't work! When I get the solution I will post it all here so no one else has this hassle.post-17315-0-92328300-1425714985.jpg

Here's my solution.

Remake the fuel pipe out of plastic coated 10 mm aluminium so that it goes over bulkhead and fits directly into an AN 6 elbow. Use a proper pipe bender so pipe does not collaspe. Then use an AN 6 to 3/8 BSP adapter to go directly into SU pump. Use Locktite sealant on thread. Wish someone told me this at the start, anyway hope it helps someone in the future . Here's the pictures!post-17315-0-84272800-1426004100.jpgsimilar adapter on left to the one I used. Picture of pump finished just have to fit new clips.post-17315-0-84272800-1426004100.jpgpost-17315-0-65911100-1426004166.jpgpost-17315-0-71694400-1426004188.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi @Lotusfab

I think I can guess, but where is this SU fuel pump and bracket mounted?

I asked @Freemason as he has the same set-up I believe but he wasn't sure.

My pump and bracket were not fitted to my S1 when I bought it.

It looks like the silver (highlighted) pipework on the LHS of the photo is going to the carbs, through the driver's side of the body. Which would make the pump located between the driver's side tank and rear of the car. In the body shell channel?

I'm surprised there is enough height in that space, to fit this assembly below the luggage area floor boarding.

I am very unclear as to what and where the other pipes lead, particularly the one off the 'T' piece highlighted on the LHS.

I assume the pipe (red connector) is from the two tanks?

My fuel line is the SJ supplied B085L4082F

B085L4082F.jpg?mod=86