free hit
counters
Soggy Footwell (Air Con drained blocked) Sorted! - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Soggy Footwell (Air Con drained blocked) Sorted!

I left mine the original length and directed where Lotus intended and just pulled the end rubber non return valves off. This way water isn't dripping on stuff below, it's still diverted away.

A 10mm diameter pipe can't get blocked on it's own through condensation alone. I suppose yours is still better than some dealers are doing by removing the whole pipe assembly from the unit. With the pipes fully removed, water is going to dribble across to other components.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Pierre,

I forgot to say thanks for posting the picture yesterday of the underside of the car view to heater unit. I was obviously having a bad day so please forgive my rudeness,

Regards,

David

Nooo worries.  :cheers:

Actually I was under there today for a prewinter check and clean while I mounted my winter tires.

I cleaned up the thin layer of dust in there and water marks; and took a load more photos so I can post up if anyone needs to see what's under/in there in future.

Thank you for all of the instructions on here.  Jacked her up today and a very gunged up rubber stopper removed followed swiftly by plenty of water.  Problem solved, marvellous.  Carpets now drying by boiler for (hopefully) the last time.

Just need to get the winter wheels and tyres swopped over and we're ready again.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

My car has this issue occasionally!

Not always, but occasionally I think after washing it.. Only the drivers side only, I don't use a jet wash just normal hose.

Had B & C do the the work to the pipes as described above and they checked it but couldn't find anything wrong... but it's happened again so booked in again later this month to be looked at again.

Bit fed up of this now as it mists up the windscreens.

Any suggestions welcomed...

If it is wet after washing then it can't be the HVAC system. It must be the door seals.

If you mark the seals with silicone or vaseline or similar you can see where the seal and glass are not fully contacting. Bit harder to see where the door and seal meet though. I guess you could mark those areas of rubber with chalk dust or perhaps lipstick to see where the seal is thinnest or non existent?

• 1 month later...

If it is wet after washing then it can't be the HVAC system. It must be the door seals.

If you mark the seals with silicone or vaseline or similar you can see where the seal and glass are not fully contacting. Bit harder to see where the door and seal meet though. I guess you could mark those areas of rubber with chalk dust or perhaps lipstick to see where the seal is thinnest or non existent?

Thanks for the tip. Had a look and it all looked ok so booked the car in with Phil at B & C.

A Pillar found to be potentially letting water in. So it was stripped refitted and resealed. Fingers crossed my car is now dry.

• 4 years later...

Hi! Sorry for the thread resurrection but I've just got an Evora and it seems to get pretty damp inside - and I'm pretty sure it's far worse when the air con is on.

So I took off the undertray as suggested and found one obvious pipe that seemed to already have had the valve removed, but I'm really struggling to find where the other pipe is.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CiupfNF9ojmPGmZB9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LYtyjk6zmWAZVKog8

Please could someone give me a clue about where the second pipe comes out (or should have come out)?

The undertray isn't entirely off at the front in the pictures as the U-nuts had rusted through and been replaced with (also rusted) nuts. I'm waiting on some new clips before I fix it :)

Thanks - you mean the large (5inch-ish?) grommit? I did give that a look but there's not anything obviously broken, and I can't see any damp there. The carpeted area in the middle under the dash just forward of the gearstick seems abnormally damp though (more than I'd expect if it was wicking up moisture) but I've never been able to spot where the water might have been dropping onto it from!

Possibly? Any thoughts how I'd check and/or fix it? I went around the whole windscreen with a watering can and couldn't see anywhere obvious. The A-pillar covers on each side aren't properly taped on all the way down, but if I pour water into the gaps it all appears to come out on the outside of the car...

I bought my car from Silverstone in November and noticed a really soggy passenger front carpet after a couple of weeks - I hadn't checked it previously.  I took the carpet out to dry and left it bare metal but despite some really heavy rain and me washing the car not a drop has come in. That left me thinking it must be the a/c drain, except I keep the a/c on all the time and still nothing.  I'm left with two theories.. either it is the a/c but there isn't enough humidity at this time of year for it to back up, or the water came in through some other means (jetwash etc) and has just been held in the carpet for months.

If you haven't already, lift the front mats and carpets out and leave it with the bare ally floor for a while and see if anything gets in.

3 hours ago, rabidh said:

Possibly? Any thoughts how I'd check and/or fix it? I went around the whole windscreen with a watering can and couldn't see anywhere obvious. The A-pillar covers on each side aren't properly taped on all the way down, but if I pour water into the gaps it all appears to come out on the outside of the car...

Also, feel the fabric bits on the inside of the windscreen at the bottom of the a pillars. I was getting wet carpets and it was working its way down behind the dash from a bad windscreen seal. I didn't notice that the fabric was getting wet for ages, and the car used to mist up something rotten in the winter.

People must have thought I was getting frisky in there...

Thanks! I'll take a look at that fabric by the windscreen - I hadn't thought to feel there. That'd really narrow it down - it sure looks to me as if the windscreen has been replaced by someone who didn't really know what they were doing so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a leak there.

@21gg did you remove the two A pillar covers and then go under them? I'd be a bit concerned that if I siliconed around the top it'd be really noticeable?

@Spanky3 I've had basically the same thing - when I got the car it was pretty damp. I took the mats out and dried them and it seemed ok despite some pretty heavy rain, but I had one wet day I put air con on and it was soaking inside after (but that could just be coincidence). My driveway has a slight slope so it could even be related to what angle I parked it at!