free hit
counters
Tailgate fitting - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Tailgate fitting

Having great fun trying to get the tailgate in the correct position. Think it may be the gas struts are too strong. Every time I get it perfect and open and close the support brackets slip on the thin head bolts and the tailgate sits too high because it has moved. Anyone had this problem before. May resin the bolt in position if all else fails. post-17315-0-17424600-1416150354.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Can't help you on the tech specs I'm afraid, but here is an alternative source of gas struts that are half the price of the usual suspect suppliers. I haven't replaced mine yet but will order a set soon.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot-tailgate/lotus/gsc1601-lotus-esprit-boot-strut

Read somewhere in here that the struts from a '87 GTI did a great job… I think I read this in the parts & misc.

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

Well solved the slipping problem with the existing struts. Changed the thin head bolts to standard bolts. This allowed increased torque and used serrated washers, no slippage. The gas struts appear ok when the glass is fitted. Hope this helps if anyone else has a problem.