free hit
counters
Valvoline Engine Oil - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
peteyg

Valvoline Engine Oil

Anyone got anything against Valvoline VR1 Racing Semi Synthetic 10W60?

Previously used Mobil 1 15W50 but never Valvoline before.

Pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

VR1 has a lot of fans among drag racers and among owners of 1970s high performance sports cars (notably Lotus and Ferrari) in the States, myself included.  Probably because of its widespread availability and reasonable price.   It has a little more than the required minimum ZDDP content (which they boast about), and a suitably high flashpoint for a non-turbo engine.   

I'm satisfied with VR-1 in the 907 so far because it maintains better oil pressure than Mobil 1 when it gets hot hot, and in 12k miles between valve clearance checks on my blue S1 (454H), the clearances didn't move.  Also, in switching two of my S1s from Mobil 1 15W50 Synthetic to Valvoline VR-1, the valves became noticeably quieter (only slightly, but enough to notice).

How will it fare over 30k or 50k miles?   We'll see . . .    I haven't seen any negatives yet, but I'm still living the experiment!  :)

in 12k miles between valve clearance checks on my blue S1 (454H), the clearances didn't move. :)

Valve clearances get smaller as the valve hammers itself into it's seat rather than increase because of wear due to the oil not providing sufficient protection. :-)
  • Like 1

Thanks Tony, that's made me feel better until I found 10 litres of Mobil 1 in the garage I'd forgot I'd bought!!

Guess the Valvolene will have to wait for the next service!

Pete

Valve clearances get smaller as the valve hammers itself into it's seat rather than increase because of wear due to the oil not providing sufficient protection. :-)

I'm aware of that;  but I always thought the lack of valve stem seals on the 907 was part of the reason for recommending synthetic oil:  its ability to withstand higher temperatures to minimize wear on the valve guides and the buildup of carbon on the valves?