free hit
counters
'Bloody bobbins' - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I think this is in the correct subsection.

So - the S4s has been in 'car hospital' for ages.  (I was completely let down by one company - I'd rather not publicise that though).

Anyway - bobbins.

Taff introduced me to how the Esprit body is fastened to the frame.

He noticed that the exhaust pipes were a bit high up for his liking and guessed what it was before even looking.

At the back of the car- in the boot section under the carpet - are two bobbins that form part of the mounting of body to car.

One bobbin had broken through and the other was of little use due to what was left.

With normal servicing it's parts lie this that are checked to try to avoid the fault in the first place.

Try to remember - this car was sold by a dealer who had undertaken a C-service.

The worst bit was that the bobbin area was packed out with newspaper and bits of plastic, etc.

Taff's view on the issue is that it's a 100 hour labour job - because it's almost a 'body off' activity to repair - and of course something else might come up during the process of repair.

Its not dangerous to drive but the rear of the car sits low and - of course - those bobbins are there for a reason,

Taff said that he had heard of another way of fixing it but didn't know the details.

1) Have I explained the issue correctly enough to know what I'm talking about and

2) Does anyone know of how to repair these mounts using an alternative method.

Thanks for any advice.

BTW - I've done the ECU swap over and - sigh - the problem is fixed!

I cannot thank Trevor enough - what a fantastic early Christmas present.  Great guy.  The 'governor' at SGT could not believe the generosity and mentioned that it was fantastic that there still are people like Trevor out there - tragically getting rarer but what can you do?

Cheers all!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Inspecting the rear body mounts doesn't form part of a C service and repairing them isn't a huge deal. Others will have done this repair and can give you their insight, but in the meantime:  clicky

More like 3-4 hours tops, most certainly not a body off job at all.

I've repaired a few. Toss those bobbins and build up the glass to the same thickness as the surrounding glass. Make top and bottom plates or washers as big as possible to spread the pressure. Use s/s or alloy about 4mm to 6mm. Drill the glass and bolt up.

There are other successful methods but whatever you do don't try to restore the bobbins. They work in shear so will bust out again.

While you're at it check the bulkhead bolts. With the broken bobbins they're the next point of load and most likely have also become loose.

(I've also made brackets that connect the engine mount plate to the inner glass of the body adjacent to the tanks. That stiffened up things a lot. The glass in that area is boxed and like a boat's, very strong.)

Reading between the lines and knowing Taff has been around these cars since 1985, I'm taking a stab that he is talking about replacing all the bobbins that mount the body to the chassis. I would also guess that if the rears have gone then this has put extra strain on the others hence in his view the requirement to replace all. 100 hours does seem a bit excessive though so maybe he has other work in mind while there?

Trevor.

Soe great pointers and so I'm grateful to all of the advice,

I do think that Taff's '100 hours' was to cover the process of making a proper disconnect between frame and body - i.e. some form of 'official way (!) ' if you want.

I'm particularly interested in some of the points here - I may eel print this out and let him see.

After all - he did mention other methods but never chased them up.

He talked about some chap in Reading who repaired these things in situ (or whatever) but the down side is that the bloke charges a fortune.

But, hey, some solid pointers here on this all within one evening - which I always find brilliant.

Taff charges half the labour for me as I've known him so long however he's a bit of a perfectionist.  A single drop of oil clinging on to something 'under' - waiting - one day to 'be at one with the tarmac' would leave him to a state of unaccomplishment 

If he charges you half then you're only paying for 50 hours for a body off! Lots of money yes, but you can also take care of a lot of stuff in relative comfort with the body off! Can you assist him in any things to keep costs low? Maybe you can have at other parts in the meantime?

Keep your head up, this is going to be a hell of a car when it's done... 

When I got my car every time I went over a bump there was a donking sound from the rear. When I lifted the carpet all the fibreglass together with bolt had broken loose and the back of the car one side was banging on the chassis strut. In a panic I took the car to a bodyrepair workshop who charged me £200 plus vat for a completely bodged job that lasted all of a week.When I jacked the car up it seemed obvious what needed to be done and using the LEW guide I fabricated some metal to make two plates which are bolted on the underside of the car through the large bolt which hold the bodywork to the chassis together with a few large washers to give it the correct clearance. It seems to have worked fine and I have since discovered that its not uncommon and you certainly do not have to remove anything other than the rear wheel and allow the chassis that side to dangle a bit through use of a couple of jacks.

If he charges you half then you're only paying for 50 hours for a body off! Lots of money yes, but you can also take care of a lot of stuff in relative comfort with the body off! Can you assist him in any things to keep costs low? Maybe you can have at other parts in the meantime?

Keep your head up, this is going to be a hell of a car when it's done... 

It's one hell of a car now - so anything else just makes it better.

How's that for 'cup half full' ?!?   :-)

When I got my car every time I went over a bump there was a donking sound from the rear. When I lifted the carpet all the fibreglass together with bolt had broken loose and the back of the car one side was banging on the chassis strut. In a panic I took the car to a bodyrepair workshop who charged me £200 plus vat for a completely bodged job that lasted all of a week.When I jacked the car up it seemed obvious what needed to be done and using the LEW guide I fabricated some metal to make two plates which are bolted on the underside of the car through the large bolt which hold the bodywork to the chassis together with a few large washers to give it the correct clearance. It seems to have worked fine and I have since discovered that its not uncommon and you certainly do not have to remove anything other than the rear wheel and allow the chassis that side to dangle a bit through use of a couple of jacks.

Excellent - well not the bit about the breakage and the bodger (it wasn't Heath End was it? [joke]).

I mean excellent regarding 'The Lew Guide'.  I have to admit I did think that there must be an alternative and equally good result.  The thing about Taff is that his style is to take it to the way it was when it left the factory.  Although (I believe) he's bloody good he also sticks like glue to the text book as it were.  There have been 1 or 2 incidents where I've said 'how about doing it this way?'  - followed by the sound of gears and cogs spinning around and then 'hmm, I'll look into that' !!

I'll print off the LEW guide/ email it / whatever and see what happens.

The only symptom I have is that the rear bumper is almost resting on the 2 exhausts.

Ok - I'm not suggesting what I'm about to say to be taken seriously - but chucking cement at, over,  around and under  the mount point would work (in a crude manner).  I use that example just to create a theory rather than a solution - but hopefully you get my point.

Mike6, thanks for that post - apart from my credit card being very happy with the idea, you've provided a 'living example' of issue->alternative remedy->working solution.

This forum has literally saved me thousands - along with ebay.  So thank you all very much.

Steve

Edited by Stimpy