free hit
counters
Heavy Snow in the States - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kimbers

Heavy Snow in the States

Lots of pics of the 5 ft of snow that's hit the States in 48 hours. I hope all our American Members are safe and warm if they are in the area affected.

Don't we normally get their weather about a week later?

If so....eeep!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's just a taster for what I will be working in next time away. it gets downa s far as minus 50 Deg C come end of December.

Doubtful we'll see much of this over here. It's all lake effect weather going on there. Looks like fun though. 

I think you'll be fine, Kimbers -- it's all "lake effect" snow, where the humid air rises form the Great Lakes and the wind blows it over the land where it then cools and dumps snow.   :)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

We have something called the Atlantic Ocean and North sea that can have the same effect!

• Like 1

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Lake effects can be extremely localized. We are currently only getting briefly touched by the extreme eastern end of the plume off Lake Erie. We have less than 2" of snow while a few miles south from my brother in law (who lives in Buffalo proper and has little on the ground) are seeing several feet in spots with more coming. The New York State Thruway has been closed from the next exit west of me to the extreme western limit for the past 3 days with trucks and cars unable to complete their journeys.  My wife's cafeteria at work gets all their supplies from a warehouse in Buffalo and are running low while there is absolutely no problem going to local supermarkets on dry pavement here. Notice in the video link the moisture can be seen rising up to feed the cloud above that will deposit it as snow over the colder land below.

10701949_930879323608423_236802098965409

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9XNRHxKbg

Edited by comem47

While I do have a snowblower. I don't think it could handle this sort of thing very well at all!!!

weather21n-1-web.jpg?enlarged

I think I can spot where the boundary between heavy snowfall and a few flakes might be.

10750148_737405419642660_577059221879063

Don't forget, clear your windows before you drive off...

234E4A0600000578-2838919-image-106_14164

• Like 1

We don't get that stuff down here.  Looks fun though. :-)

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Can you do me a huge favour and keep it yoour side of the pond for a while longer as I have a couple of jobs to finish outside before the snow starts here.

Thanks in advance.

John W.

Why doesn't everyone over there move to New Mexico / Arizona.  I know it can get a bit hot in summer, but you don't have to put up with that $hit.

Unlike some of our western states brethren, we actually have enough water to drink and wash our cars (and lake effects don't get everyone). I'll shovel a little snow if needed for the trade off. (some places are already treating sewage to make potable water while others are making plans!!!)

20141118_conus_trd.png

Edited by comem47

Whilst in Vegas the waste the stuff like it's going out of fashion!

Happily, despite this snow (below) a couple of years ago, we haven't really had a blinder since being snowed in in 1978 and Colin came to pick MJK up everyday in his helicopter. Still, we got 3 days with him before Colin was given the clearance to take off.

Today_zps89ffb4e6.jpg

SouthNorfolk-20130115-00117_zps069a25cb.