free hit
counters
Steering Rack - What play is acceptable - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
DaKa

Steering Rack - What play is acceptable

My 2.2 SE Excel steering is fully tested and feels positive, but for me, it sometimes it feels that there is a bit of play. Hard to describe, but literally a feel rather than anything measureable! 

As owners know, excels are not the fastest of cars, but they hold and corner well.

How do I know when the rack is worn, needs adjusting, or replacing?

It's not a cheap part to find/source and I guess that it is difficult to fit and re-align etc. In fact, I've seen only one source SMS for a refurbished replacement.

I wondered what the forum would suggest/recommend? 

Thxs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If it's just the inner balljoints then I believe they are the same as the sporty Ford Sierra  RS Cosworth (UK model Sierra) , but you'd need to check.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Sierra-Sapphire-Cosworth-2wd-Steering-Rack-Inner-Tie-Rods-DrumSticks-Pair-/390501914205?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5aebba565d

Edited by andydclements

Personally I would nip into an MOT station (other than the one that issued the test) and ask for a steering rack check.

Wear is the opinion of the tester even with the guidelines given.

This may alay your fears or compound them.

If it has power steering and it's the same as the Eclat and you do need a rack then I have a spare one.

Are you sure it's the rack and not play in the steering column U/J's ?, i have wear in the U/J's on my Elite at the moment.

Generally you are allowed a bit of play in a steering box but there should be no play at all in a steering rack.

Agree with the UJ comments, check them first, they are available from SJ's but to me they look a bit inferior to the originals, I have a spare original if required which was fitted to a car but only for a short while as the car had to be scrapped.

On the Red Lc I sold recently it had play in one ball joint that didn't seem much at the source but at the steering wheel felt substantial.

Much appreciated comments - especially John.

I'm booked in next Tues to an independent garage to give the car a going over with particular attention to steering and brakes.

It does omdeed have power sterring that is quiet amd smooth except for a slight whine on full lock.

Thxs

Hi Damien, the slight whine you will get on full lock is from the power steering pump, it's not best idea to hold the steering against it's limit as it can cause damage. Hope all goes well for you on Tuesday.

A clean bill of health following my visit to an independent experienced garage.

They mentioned a tiny bit of play in the track rod ends only - I guess that I will replace these and get the tracking reset next season when I have nothing better to do. 

Gone and ordered 'Steve's' track rod ends and new gaitor song to fit. 

More something to do then needing them.

Anything to watch out for? Thinking tracking, or, could I get away with taking careful measurements first?

Thxs.