free hit
counters
Replicas & Kit Cars - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Buddsy

Replicas & Kit Cars

kit-cars-other-models-1-0-gx-S1507980-1.

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

:sick:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I'm not a fan of replicas, but I don't mind kit cars. I must confess to viewing my Esprit as more kit than not. Mostly cos it can be totally dismantled, and I always held a belief you can't take real cars apart, which of course you can. Also, kit aircraft are totally legit, so kit is ok with me.

Iain

Not for me

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Guy I work with is building a Stratos to original spec, he is having wheels cast, conrods, pistons, block, the lot, so far he is in for over 50k and nowhere near finished.

Gt40, Stratos  or a phantom vortex only for me.   The vortex has a bit of a small F1 about it but is one of the nicest designed kit cars I have seen. It looks like it was designed by a designer not a 15 year old in their bedroom  Shame their later stuff looks so naff.

post-1261-0-64944600-1416637836.jpg

• Like 1

Seen a few nice replicas

This 330 P3 had a Ferrari V12

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3792.JPG

IMG_3793.JPG

I see these all the time, along side real ones (Shelby American museum is near my work, seen several real 289, 427, and Daytona Coupes).

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3812.JPG

Daytona 

IMG_3823.JPG

IMG_3824.JPGIMG_3826.JPGIMG_3827.JPG

GT40 replica

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

What does everyone think of a real F40 (burned) and rebuilt as a fake F40-LM?

P5040035.JPGP9111563.JPGPC270028.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Wow, this p4 is great!!

Buddsy, the eleven  has a ford kent 1600 in it. Have also looked at the coventry climax engine as they

are not that rare but was a bit afraid for the reliability. 

• Like 1

Pal of mine has an original Porsche 365. He gets so fed up with people asking him if it is a kit car.

That is one of the problems with replicas. How many people think that an original AC Cobra is just another copy. i would get very cross.

The other thing a replica says to me is "I can't afford the original".

As far as I know, there has never been a copy or replica of the Lotus Esprit. Perhaps it is the fact that they are still quite affordable, well almost.

Not being able to afford the original is not necessarily a bad thing. For instance, there is someone in my vicinity who drives around in a 240Z rebodied to look like a 250GTO. It looks OK from a few feet away, the owner seems to enjoy it and (on the few occasions I have had a close look at it) he hasn't to insult my intelligence by pretending it is the real thing. 

I'm OK on replicas as long as there is some truth in advertising. Annoyance arises when some poseur tries to pretend that a replica is something that it is not.

On that general point, perhaps someone should try to market replicas of a defunct English marque. After all, who wouldn't want to be seen in an Alvis Impersonator? 

Mike

'97 V8

'73 Europa TC

'10 Elise SC

I think a few people miss the main thing that make a kit car a car and not a kit and that my friends is all in the details. You can restore a lotus and make it look nice but you can also restore a lotus and a be a perfectionist. The end product is down to the person who puts in and goes the extra mile to make a kit car look like it came out the factory as a car and not a box of bits. 

I wouldn't particularly want to put in the money and effort required to make an enviable kit - I'd rather have a proper car of equivalent value and less effort.  What I did do back in the 70s was to build a kit as a form of cheap daily transport after I'd written off my Mum's car and needed to get rid of the rent a wreck I'd had to hire.  It was always going to be crap being based on a BMC 1100/1300 and it was fug ugly.  But what the Lightspeed Magenta had on its side was a quick and simple build.  A rag top (and sides) which were easily completely removed.  And half the weight of a Mini with a 1275GT engine made it relatively spritely.   Had fun with it for a year or so....but eventually bent that out of shape as well. No great loss!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

She's a beauty Mike :lol:

magenta_1300_01a.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

post-5182-0-25122900-1416981237.jpgpost-5182-0-81034400-1416981180.jpg

Just thought I would show the similarities between the Nova which was designed in the early 70s by Richard Oakes and the McLaren Beanmobile which was designed this century.

Did you ever see the original McLaren road car, the M6GT?

This is a real one, used to be owned here a few miles from me in Colorado.

http://mathewscollection.com/gallery/1969-mclaren-m6-gt/

m6gt_5_450.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Thanks! As far as selling, needs must at the time. Sold up all the toys including the Esprit (bought it back, but that's another story) and moved to the other side of the world.

Have had strong needs for a K1 attack for years too. This ain't going to help Simon http://www.b-racing.cz/en/

Back in production - I'll take an MR2 based one please :)