free hit
counters
Bit of a close call! - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Kalli

Bit of a close call!

So; my rear tyres were needing to be replaced, and sourced them this week. Got them both fitted for £25, with all the trimmings. Brill. 

Drove out of the tyre place, and felt a fair bit of difference. Again, all good. This is where I realised it was the placebo effect taking hold. 

I've always known that tyres on first fitting are always crappy, and you have to wear them in a little bit before they grip as they should. But I would NEVER have thought it would be so noticable on the Evora.

Heading round a roundabout at 25mph (a large roundabout) which I can normally take far quicker (and safely too!). Back end stepped out of line (partly due to being wet), and I found myself sideways on a roundabout, with a bus behind me, ever-so-close to the curb. Luckily the bus was a slow starter from his junction, otherwise he would have been firmly planted up my jacks. Never have I had to reverse on a roundabout due to being 90 degrees to the road and rather close to the inner curb!

So just a heads up to new owners out there who havent had their tyres replaced yet. I'm not a speed-demon, but even I was shocked. The age old addage of 'dont be stupid' isnt good enough. Treat it like a child, and wrap it in bubblewrap for a little bit. I've officially scared myself stupid, purely for taking a roundabout at normal speed.

Now; time to buy new undies.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yep, they do need a few miles to wear off the release agent. However, it might be worth re-checking your tyre pressures sooner rather than later too. 

Yep, check the pressures. I remember coming off a roundabout on opposite lock after a new set of tyres in the Excel. They were 36 PSI and should have been 24!

Mind you, you have TPMS so assume they were OK?

Good advice there Tom. Glad you came off safe...except the pants of course!

Buddsy

Ah, s**t happens. :D

Worse on a motor bike

Very true, broke two ribs finding out the hard way.

Trevor.