free hit
counters
Distributor parts/alternatives - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
richardvg

Distributor parts/alternatives

Hi all

Long time no chat ...work took over 

My dizzy has a problem ..it is the 45D .The pickup on the shaft has an intermediate nylon washer .Through time this nylon washer has become brittle .The washer has ridges in it , designed to space the pickup and stop the pickup from rotating.

The previous muppet tried to glue this which does not work ...I kept finding the timing progressively going out .

So this spacer/clutch washer ...anyone know where i can get one .

Also is anyone aware of any other dizzy that will fit the turbo esprit ?

Hi all

Long time no chat ...work took over 

My dizzy has a problem ..it is the 45D .The pickup on the shaft has an intermediate nylon washer .Through time this nylon washer has become brittle .The washer has ridges in it , designed to space the pickup and stop the pickup from rotating.

The previous muppet tried to glue this which does not work ...I kept finding the timing progressively going out .

So this spacer/clutch washer ...anyone know where i can get one .

Also is anyone aware of any other dizzy that will fit the turbo esprit ?

And another thing ...anyone got a decent diagram on the dizzy ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I bought a replacement from www.simonbbc,com for my 88 n/a.  Its a copy, the cap was rubbish so replaced it with a good one I had in stock.  It allowed me to dump the amp, is easy to set up and runs fine. Probably no good if you want originality but if you just want it to work its a good result and not too expensive.

Yeah - that nylon drive dog/washer fell to bits on mine too, I bought a new Rover V8 dizzy off ebay, salvaged the pickup and drive washer and resold dizzy for more than purchase price.

There are rebuild kits listed on Ebay that illustrate the washer (at a price...) 

• Like 1

No - But the pickup and various internal parts are the same (including the part you need).   TBH, I would have thought the Lucas 45D (which has the correct body for an Esprit) should be readily available - as long as you dont get a '45D replacement', which may be different internally).   Many British Leyland 4 cylinder cars of the late 70's to mid/late 80's are likely to have a 45D variant body.        

Edited by 910Esprit

Thanks Steve ...the hunt will begin .

Did you find a distributor yet? What led you to the conclusion that it was bad? How was the car running to clue you in the the advance problem? Lack of power?