free hit
counters
Tailgate not staying released when operating boot button (fixed)! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
superdavelotus

Tailgate not staying released when operating boot button (fixed)!

Hi all,

Whilst fixing my failed strut problem, I came across another related problem which at first, I thought it was down to a weak strut. Since replacing both struts for new Lotus ones, I was still having this problem. When pressing the boot button (twice), I have to have my hand lifting the spoiler part so that the tailgate would release.

After further investigation and seeing how the locking mechanism works, I soon realised that the problem is the tailgate bump stops on each corner. On the left hand side, I could see a thread on the rubber but the right hand side, no thread? So I've adjusted the right bump stop by turning anticlockwise so I can see a similar amount of threads as left hand side and now it works fine!

Such a simple thing to discover and zero cost to fix.

My conclusion is that a weak strut or strong wind has caused the tailgate to slam shut (which is did a while back) has forced the right hand bump stop threaded section further into the hole.

If you are having similar problems then check your adjustment, it's dead easy!

IMG_2266_zpsb82d2ca8.jpg

IMG_2265_zpsb244a790.jpg

PS. It's also stopped a little knocking noise I was getting on bumpy surfaces!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice one,

I have been having exactly this problem since I got 'Ethel' back from the repairers, will check this first.

Thanks

Tris...

I learned all about adjusting bump stops to millimetre precesion of the bonnet on my Ginetta.  Its now the first thing I look at when a bonnet/boot won't release

Very clever. Probably explains why mine sometimes doesn't work when parked on a slope but is fine when on the flat.

Glad to share my experiences and info if it means it will help someone else.

There's lots I am learning about the car and lots of jobs and adjustments I've made so far. If there's any useful finding then I'll post them on here!

Regards

David

Although offshore at present I will have a play with mine next time home as mine started doing this only last leave and I only noticed it when in my drive which is moderately uphill and at no other time.

Thanks!  :unworthy: