free hit
counters
Lotus induction system - 2015 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus induction system - 2015

I hear that Lotus are realising an induction system for the V6 next year (similar to the system on the Cup R). Has anyone heard about this and so you have any further information?

I reckon the car will sound very nice with that system and a nice exhaust :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Time to revive this thread as see what I've got here:           Strictly for "research purposes", will go for sale soon.

Oooh that looks good!

Posted Images

We've been waiting for that for years, I think most people have given up on ever seeing it!

It's an HKS system and much simpler, lighter and less restrictive than the original air box.

Radium have had something similar for the Evora for years and Komotec do a carbon intake for all the Lotus V6 cars. The issue for me is the ecu changes needed to get anything like this to work properly. I'd rather the factory did something like that which is why I'm still waiting. Fortunately the car goes like stink as standard so it's no great hardship!

I'm told by a very reliable source that it'll come out next year, so you may see it sooner than expected. I'm told that it's currently "being tested" :)

Whilst it probably won't be available by the time my car arrives, I am going to have the 2bular downpipes and back box fitted to my car before I pick it up. I wonder what sort of power the car would make with these exhaust mods and the new airbox system.....370bhp?

Edited by ChrisBuer

The real gains come when you get the ecu optimised, in fact the biggest difference you're likely to notice will be some annoying warning lights!

No-one even changes so much as an end-can on a fast bike these days without a power commander and a trip to the rolling road. But gains of 20bhp are common for a properly set up bike with a new exhaust system in place. But the difference between the downloadable map from Dynojet and a proper rolling road set up is considerable. That's why I'd only want it done if it could be done properly.

Lotus claim just over 20bhp for the CupR's intake system, which is similar to the claims for the Radium system for the Evora. If the exhaust is any good it could add another 10 bhp perhaps? The problem remains though, who's going to hack into your ecu?

The real gains come when you get the ecu optimised, in fact the biggest difference you're likely to notice will be some annoying warning lights!

No-one even changes so much as an end-can on a fast bike these days without a power commander and a trip to the rolling road. But gains of 20bhp are common for a properly set up bike with a new exhaust system in place. But the difference between the downloadable map from Dynojet and a proper rolling road set up is considerable. That's why I'd only want it done if it could be done properly.

Lotus claim just over 20bhp for the CupR's intake system, which is similar to the claims for the Radium system for the Evora. If the exhaust is any good it could add another 10 bhp perhaps? The problem remains though, who's going to hack into your ecu?

If Lotus Motorsport do the induction kit, they can "hack" the ECU :)

The exhaust changes should be subtle enough for the ECU to learn over time (albeit I know the ECU on the Exige does take quite a long time to do this).

im with Jonny on this, im waiting for a Lotus solution and i wouldn't want a 3rd party touching the ecu. The switchable komo system sounds bloody awesome tho. thats just a bolt on swap. 

have you heard a cup r?

sounds completely different once its going. Considering the engine is the same Lotus should just put a price on that and offer it out.

I think the Malaysian phorensic accountants have been making it really hard to get stuff like this out. The CupRs are still racing with cast wheels for example. That said, the potential gains for the 'next gen' V6 Cup are quite dramatic when you consider the open goals on the current spec sheet. That car really could be something spectacular. I'd go for full TFT stack dash with data logger, forged wheels, ohlins dampers, HKS intake kit, CupR aero kit, carbon engine cover, plus a carbon pack interior option. Sure the cost will be well over £70k like that but with the extra 50bhp and a few kilos off the power to weight ratio will leap from around 313 per ton to 363, even more if they get the weight down! The perfect launch date from a PR point of view would be the launch date of the GT3RS. That will need well over 500bhp just to match it and will most likely be at least £130k basic.

Sorry, where was I...

I think one of the reasons for the delay with the CupR intake mod is that the ecu was set up for that in combination with the Xtrac sequential. If that is the case, then CupRs ordered as manuals would then have the standard air box and ecu.

JK's car is a super-rare manual V6CupR. Take a look at the air box....

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/60602-more-pics-of-exige-s-v6-cupr-and-normal-v6-in-korea/?hl=%2Bv6+%2Bcupr

Now, there may be all kinds of legislation for importing into Korea that I don't have a clue about - but - standard airbox = standard bhp.

By thunder it's a stunning car though and I'll wager was the inspiration for the LF1.

It supports the theory that the ecu work was done for the car Xtrac sequential hence the delays in getting the kit for the rest of us lower down the food chain. The cost of doing it properly is many hours of development work on the road and rolling road. No doubt the bean counters didn't consider it worth it for the number of estimated sales. Given the parts are bought in from Japan the profit per kit sold must be tiny.

Its so much easier for a "track only" car because it doesn't need road and emissions certification. Plus all liabilities and warranty costs out of potential early failures. 

Which is also why aftermarket tuners have such an easy life. Everything is OK as long as the car still passes the MOT (or TÜV). And they won't give you a warranty on the modifications either (well some do).

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I know someone in Belgium has the HKS fitted by his dealer on his standard Exige S and he said the ecu was definitly not updated.

You can hear the more free flowing HKS filter...

post-10938-0-58483000-1417192839.jpg

Edited by rasasoufe

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/60602-more-pics-of-exige-s-v6-cupr-and-normal-v6-in-korea/?hl=%2Bv6+%2Bcupr

Wow, that engine bay looks completely different with all the plastic engine cover-up panels.

I'm waiting for the water-air charge cooler that Lotus Motorsports is working on .... that will be the ticket.

post-7947-0-60446700-1417478421.jpg

post-7947-0-16283000-1417478458.jpg

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Now, there may be all kinds of legislation for importing into Korea that I don't have a clue about - but - standard airbox = standard bhp.

But the cup R has a different exhaust set up

"The exhaust system looks similar to that of the production car however everything other than the ‘S’ pipe is different or

modified in some way. The manifolds have had the pre cats removed and a shaped tubular replacement pipe added, the

‘Y’ piece has geometry changes that help to maximise airflow and the silencer has an FIA catalyst inside along with a

larger capacity and additional baffles to reduce the noise to a level suitable for racing."

Jacks pictures...

Thanks for these pics Jack,

would it be possible to have a picture from the top of the engine, more specifically the vacuum lines from the supercharger to the air intake (if any)?

The CAI the Jokke-vlo (video above) is running is indeed the Lotus Sport kit.  920€ + 1h installation.

Edited by Milton1

Thanks for these pics Jack,

would it be possible to have a picture from the top of the engine, more specifically the vacuum lines from the supercharger to the air intake (if any)?

The CAI the Jokke-vlo (video above) is running is indeed the Lotus Sport kit.  920€ + 1h installation.

Will these help? 

post-7947-0-32006800-1417738726.jpg

post-7947-0-13185400-1417738774.jpg

post-7947-0-94952600-1417738789.jpg

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Milton1. Are there any updates on this kit? How soon before it will go on sale. I will Defo take one as soon as they are ready (assuming they aren't extortionately expensive)

Cheers

You can get one from Lotus Motorsport via your Lotus dealer.  Approx 1000€.  Filter element is HKS (200mm super power flow).  No ECU updates needed.

I was fortunate enough to experience one of these in a v6 recently and all I can say is EPIC the sound it made and the improvement to throttle responsive and acceleration was very surprising!!!

As per Miltons comment no ECU remap required to gain the benefits and the owner in question has had no issues whatsoever since installing.

www.alias23.com

Ok. Sounds like a decent mod then. It's a shame they don't do a non carbon fibre one for half the money for the "regular" v6. They would be flying out the door.

Alias 23, was the car you had a go in completely standard apart from the induction kit please?

Cheers

Sorry for bombarding with questions but been quite excited since finding this thread.

Does the kit you buy through dealer include the little breathers to for the things that are connected to standard airbox, that this induction kit doesnt seem to cater for.. cheers