free hit
counters
Face lifted Evora - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Face lifted Evora

What was the set up for the Evora GTE engine? That was over 400 bhp and I seem to remember was the same basic 3.5 V6 supercharged engine as in the S but tweaked by Cosworth (i.e. not just the bigger 4.0 V6 naturally aspirated engine found in the race cars). Seems to be generally accepted that the basic engine is capable of a lot more than the 345 bhp we currently get. I think the issue with increasing the power was more around reliability/durability, and the standard gearbox melting.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me add to this interesting discussion. Lotus seems to be a household name in the UK and Europe but it's not known much in North America. In Canada, people know the name Lotus as an exotic car that

I hope the evora defines lotus like the 911 defines Porsche and it just gets continually improved over time with tweaks as opposed to wholesale change. It is a fantastic and timeless design in my ey

Evora Cup?

What was the set up for the Evora GTE engine? That was over 400 bhp and I seem to remember was the same basic 3.5 V6 supercharged engine as in the S but tweaked by Cosworth (i.e. not just the bigger 4.0 V6 naturally aspirated engine found in the race cars). Seems to be generally accepted that the basic engine is capable of a lot more than the 345 bhp we currently get. I think the issue with increasing the power was more around reliability/durability, and the standard gearbox melting.

And cooling in the engine bay they could never keep the GTE cool enough to envision production as for the AMT gearbox it just kept disintegrating according to some journos as it could not keep up with the torque...

That is what I had heard as well. Steve Williams has one in his Evora, but that is very much set up for track use only. Was just wondering what tweaks Cosworth had been making to the engine to increase the power. Could be Lotus are doing something similar and have settled on a lower power (400 vs c.440 bhp) to solve the reliability problems.

In any case it will be interesting to see which way Lotus does go. Particularly interested in whatever they do to the gearbox, which is already not the most reliable part of the drivetrain.

Anyone been mulespotting in Death Valley?

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Lotus ideally don't want to modify any engines. Pulling each one apart to replace parts is labour intensive and so adds much cost. The engine is hardly the newest and the obvious way to solve this, I imagine, is to fit a more modern engine.

I really do think Evora is getting some DI tech, for one single reason, JMG mentioned a  15% power increase across the range not just for the top of the range. The NA has been discontinued probably to make room on the production chain for a new powertrain as the old GR-FE will not manage to produce the extra 15 % without blowing emission regulations.  Yes, Evora S can produce more power with a tuning, but it throws all Lotus efforts out the window in terms of fuel economy and CO2 emissions which Lotus is subject too just as every other manufacturer. The only way to get more power and still respect emissions is to change the powertrain.

Besides JMG is also the king of guy that company like Toyota will sign this kind of deals with. Final point Toyota/Lexus is phasing out non DI engines in Europe.  

So I'm going to bet on GR-FSE and hope they can get that new AISIN AW 8 speed to replace that 6 speed capable but limited torque converter unit.

• Like 1

good logic and would love it... https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/which tells you engine cc and co2 if you put in the reg plate no. look at the 3 exiges tested at the ring.... 

i think the  2GR-FSE is 3456cc.....as is the current Exiges GR-FE

the black exige has 3456cc and £230pa tax  

the yellow exige has 3456cc but has £485 tax

the grey exige has 3486cc but also £230pa tax 

god knows what toyota engine is 3486cc if it isn't a mistake. 

The question is, where should better components come from when you look at what Toyota has to offer. The 2GR-FSE has never been mounted transverse, the Aisin 8-gear has only benn coupled to a 4-cylinder. So,  how likely is any of that in a facelifted Evora? 

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

• 2 weeks later...

From "CAR" mag interview with JMG.  Seen today, apology if of old news.  Positive re the Evora fundamentals, and re the new one:

"there will be nothing under £100K faster around a track - unless another Lotus"

"will have a charge cooler"

"there will be a CUP version"

I like the track reference particularly.  Wonder at what the price is to be though.

Do you have a link? At least the confirmation of the charge cooler is new and would explain the power gains promised. :thumbsup:

The will (I think) be a normal model, an 'R', then a Cup then a Cup R of each model. Makes good sense IMO. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I've wondered how they might price the new model Evoras.

The Jag AWD F-type S coupe is £66,900 with the F-type R and R AWD being £86,88 and £91,650 respectively. The Porsche 911 Carrera variants range between  £74,00-£100,000ish.

I can definitely see a substantial price hike as the values of existing Evoras would surely take a mighty dive if the hugely improved new Evoras were to be released at a similar price point. It'll be interesting to see where they pitch it ...

Edited by Bee

Sorry no link, I read the article at a newsagent. (No, I didn't buy the mag - it's almost £5; into a piggy bank for the Evora! Well it's a start - suspect every pound will be needed! And I do get another mag.)

The article is listed on CAR's web site though, and their digital reader gives the front pages of articles. Not many words on that although they are from JMG about how much time he devotes to turning Lotus around - a lot!

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Magazine/Search-Results/CAR-Magazine-out-now/

1) where they going to stick the charge cooler? the old s2 exige location was just plain silly! 

2) im hearing Cup version wont be out for quite a while after release - bad move as the world isn't standing still  but its the one im still interested in. 

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/Lotus-Evora-crossover-roadster-to-spearhead-expanded-Evora-family/

evora suv what the flying f.

I don't mind my evora being superceded by a lighter faster car, but why dilute the model name with an entirely different car? they should give it a new model name like subaru do with the XV

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

That crossover may use the VVA chassis, but it will never be called Evora! JMG knows enough about marketing to make sure that would never happen.

There are still enough possible names starting wih an "E" around. 

• Like 1

Whatever it will be called it is blasphemy. I think the evora it's already too heavy.

I was shocked when Porsche made the cayenne and to this day I think it's one of the worst Porsches ever made. Its ugly, unnecessary and boring.

The fact that it was a huge success shows that I have no clue.

No, the Cayenne was essential, though ugly and boring. Look at it this way, the Cayenne allows Porsche to build cars like the 918 and GT3, neither of which they earn any money on. 

So, if Lotus finds 10000 for the Eugly or Eboring SUV and builds the new Esprit with the money they earn through that I'm all for doing it!!!