free hit
counters
S3 Uprated brakes anyone? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Laurie Cross

S3 Uprated brakes anyone?

I was coming back from Malaga the other day empty toll road with the exception of a 911 doing around 120 kept going passed me after the tolls then had to slow down on the credit card machine so he passed me 3 times on the final toll I thought I will just see how quick it will go as its a nice straight section, It hit 140 very quickly after that there was traffic ahead about a mile ahead so decided I would just back off. The brakes don't give much confidence slowing down from that speed has anyone uprated theirs I noticed lotusbitz do some big brake conversions.

If so any feed back would be appreciated. 

any police present? I am recounting a dream I had the other day......

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Make sure that you get one for the right Model year of S3, as the '85MY S3 had entirely different hubs, discs, calipers etc.

Just seen this and thiought I'd add my twopennorth. I fitted a PNM front brake upgrade to my 82 turbo a year or two back. It has given the car the brakes it always needed....smooth and powerful, like running into a wall of feathers. I have the 4 pot calipers and the larger ventilated and grooved discs. Fitting was a doddle and I wish I'd done it years ago! I changed the anti roll bar bushes at the same time, and that cured any suspicion of brake wobble too....so hitting the STOP pedal is now done in confidence and with pleasure.

• Like 1

thanks molemot this is what I was looking for the review of someone who actually did it, It is a lot of money for me to spend atm and wanted to make sure it would be worth it.

I've had this car since 1988; the brakes have been overhauled several times, with new discs and rebuilt calipers, new Greenstuff pads, springs and fittings etc. I have never been wholly happy with the brakes until fitting this upgrade; I was getting fed up with the brakes on my Volvo diesel estate being far better and more confidence inspiring than those on the Lotus. Now the Lotus is at least as good as the Volvo....and I'm a happy bunny.

I found this guide from LEW to be very useful...

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EModifications/Front_brakes.html

It's because of the great write-ups here on TLF, and after speaking to my father who stressed, "What's the point of having a car that can't stop?" that I've decided to purchase the 310mm slotted rotor setup from PNM this week. Now, if only PNM would respond to my email....

I renewed my membership to a Full Forum Member [thank you, Bibs, for letting me know my Member Number is in the address bar when I hit "Profile"!!!!], and will note to all those considering this upgrade, including Laurie, to be sure to include your Membership number (if you are a Full Forum member) for the discount, and if they are a "Basic" member, to upgrade their account to get the discount (I don't know the % discount as I am still awaiting a reply from PNM). 

Again: The reviews here have been excellent; buy with confidence, based on the advice of those who have much experience with the brake kits.  However, I would caution you to do what molemot (John) recommends, and change out your bushings as well (which I am also going to purchase, from JAE in the US), as it seems the two complement each other, based on the posts I've read here.

Cheers,

Scott

Perhaps I should have mentioned that it did take a while and a few phone calls before PNM shipped my brake kit....but, as they say, they are a one-armed paperhanger and do a load of (very useful!) stuff, so instant response can't really be expected. Everything I've had from them has been spot on, though.....anticipation is the key! I had the brake kit sitting on the shelf for several years, as I had been intending to fit trunnionless uprights to the car...I had a set of these from Canley Classics, but that got stalled as they are not a simple parts substitution...you have to modify the car, too. Then there was a chap in the USA who was developing a set especially for the Esprit...with Canley Classics...but that came to nothing, and in the end I just fitted the brakes and the new anti roll bar poly bushes. Sold the Canley uprights to a chap with a Triumph GT6 fetish.....

I'd just like to offer a public apology to John and PNM in general for my statement, above.

John got back to me and has been extremely involved in customizing my order, and has given me exemplary client-focused service that is refreshingly personal in today's impersonal world of business. So impressed was I by his very patient, professional, and detailed reply to my post (above), as well as his focused, polite, and incredibly helpful customer service (via email), I not only ordered the full 310mm slotted brake kit, but also PNM's brake master cylinder, slave cylinder, and stainless steel clutch hose.

My thanks to John @ PNM, molemot (John), Andy Clements, Laurie Cross, and John W. [<--that's a lotta Johns] for posting in this thread, and to Pete for being the "other side" of PNM Engineering. I know my "post count" is low, but my passion for resurrecting the '86 Turbo Esprit I purchased is a driving force in my hobbyist life, and it is the advice and instruction you all give (such as found in this thread and its links) that truly have allowed my passion to flourish. 

Respectfully, and again, with apologies to PNM,

Scott