free hit
counters
how many left - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mikeeech

how many left

Just killing time when I checked how many lotus elites were registered in the UK (link below) and saw a jump in the number registered or sorned up from 398 in q2 2013 to 424 in the same period this year. Quite a jump. Would this indicate that more cars are being owned by more responsible owners who might be restoring them?

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/lotus_elite

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would think so. There does seem to be a growing appreciation for the cars and there was only ever about 1500 made wasnt there?

Buddsy

I myself and another person I bought my elite s2.2 from ,so that's 2 I know off both of road but in working condition ,only 95 made in 1980?

Does that include the type 14 elite too? If you look in the "engine" bit it includes 1200cc cars too.

But still a big jump!

I brought one to that hadn't been sorned as well so am assuming that they are being brought my people to restore rather han left to languish. I guess I'm hoping for pricesntonstart rising

There does seem to be a growing appreciation for the cars and there was only ever about 1500 made wasnt there?

Buddsy

I had to look this one up at least on the earl type 14 Elite. According to Wikipedia, "When production ended in 1963, 1030 had been built.[10] Other sources indicate 1,047 were produced" 

And the type 75: 

1974–1982

2535 made

Interesting facts about each car is that the drag coefficient is almost the same for both cars, the early Elite being .29 and the type 75 .30. Both cars were attempted to be produced without a frame but for the same reason the early one didn't measure up all that great as a comfortable driver, because it was like riding in a drum and quite noisy so the sheet metal frame similar to the Elan and actually the Lotus 30/40 group 7 Can/Am race car along with the Europa and Esprit all have basically the same layout as the type 75 and it was one of the last cars that Chapman had his hand in the design.

I really like mine but sadly, it is a car that few appreciate like other Lotus cars, especially here in the US, which is great if you want to buy one . 

Richard