free hit
counters
77 Elite 503 Ancilliary Pulley Problems - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
89esprit

77 Elite 503 Ancilliary Pulley Problems

Hi All,  I purchased a 77 Elite 503 back in July as a project car.  Then engine was in the state of disassembly and seized.  I got it at a fairly reasonable price and figured it, as well as any Lotus, would be worth saving.  After discovering that the head was completely junk, I sought out another 907 engine and found one complete, aside from the alternator and power steering.

I pulled the old engine out and put the new one in. (Quite a project I might add) Anyway after bolting up the power steering pump, the alternator and the AC compressor, none of the pulleys are lining up quite right and there seems to be no tensioner for the PS pump!  I was wondering if anyone could take a picture of their engine so I can get a look at what I'm missing.  I've been searching the parts catalogs but haven't been able to find one with Power Steering.

I'd appreciate any help and advice.

Kenny

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Ken

On my car the Power steering pump bracket that bolts on to the side of engine, is slotted to allow the pump to be rotated sufficiently to tighten the belt, bit like tightening an alternator.

Have tried to take photograph, but not any success due to where it is, and  and when get camera in it is too close to make out the detail.

Hope this may help a little

Regards

Mike

Hmmm must be a real bear to get to. The slots are behind the pulley? I'll have to get it back on the lift and examine it again

Thanks Mike!

Well I've finally gotten round to my Elite.  The engine I bought last year is in and RUNNING!  Sounds very strong and very happy I took the gamble on that engine. 
I have a few questions as this car turned out to be like putting together a model car without any plans and some pieces missing. 

I cant seem to figure out where some of the vacuum hoses go I managed to sort out the ones to the tank that works the heater control and the one that goes to the headlight reservoir, But their are two small vacuum ports on the bases of the Strombergs that I have no idea where they go. The are brass and pointing straight up. I have the vacuum to the distributor coming off the intake manifold or is that wrong? Could someone take a picture or perhaps let me know where they go to?

I'm also having a time of it with the headlight doors. They wont close.  I have good vacuum and they turn on but no up and down.  The wiring diagram shows the two vacuum switches on each side, and a thermal limiter.  Could that be bad? Any idea where its located or what it looks like? There is no mention of location anywhere in the FSM.

The clutch peddle is very stiff, good thing I don't have a bum knee... yet. I've oiled up the cable and will see if that helps.

Thanks for your help!

Kenny

• Like 1

Can't really help on the Strombergs as thats Federal spec and I've never seen them, but its good to hear you've got it running.

Have you tried unbolting the pod actuator under the headlight pod? They often rot out on cars that have been sitting. I repaired my ones with fibreglass to good effect some years ago. There should also be a non return valve int he system to prevent the vacuum in the reservoir emptying when the switch flicks between showing the reservoir the pod and venting to atmosphere (at which point they go up).

• Like 1

• Thanks Dunc,  I was pretty excited when she popped over... Now its just getting everything in order. I guess I'll get a vacuum pump and see if I can manually get the actuators to pull down the head lights.  I was trying to avoid pulling out the pods and chancing that I break off the pivot bolts but if I must I must. The reservoir tank is building vacuum and holding if that's a good sign or not. I'll keep plugging away at it. There are non return valves in the lines and appear to be in the right direction. I'll have to hope someone stateside can help me with a little input on those mystery vacuum fittings.

Thanks for the reply and support!