free hit
counters
Alternator Long Bolt - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
peteyg

Alternator Long Bolt

Just managed to shear the long bolt that bolts the alternator to the engine whilst trying to tighten the belt. Can I just replace with something the same size or is it a special item? 4 months off the road and just when I get her going again, this happens!! Anyone know the size off hand so I can order before I start dismantling stuff?

Cheers,

Pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

On my 89 it's a long stud with threads on both ends... not a "bolt" 

I would think that if you replaced it with a bolt, you would have trouble getting it in place...  I think it's difficult if not impossible with the manifold in place anyways..  IIRC?

You should be able to replace it with any bolt/std that fits if you want to, but if the stud were too long, and the nut bottomed out on the threads before it was tight, then you wouldn't be able to get it tight enough.

I wouldn't use an entirely threaded bolt or stud (allthread) because the threads make the bolt weaker in shear than a un-threaded stud.

The length of the bolt would depend on what type of alternator, whether it has A/C or not, model year and probably the day of the week the car was built :)

I measured it and found the nearest similar length on Ebay and had to put a few more threads on it and cut it off to the exact length. 

Pete

I can probably measure mine for you at the weekend if that helps?  Carbs are off at the mo and I need to tighten the alternator bolt so could do this before it all goes back together.

Neil

I can't see this as critical. As a bolt, it can be fitted and removed with the carbs and plenum fitted, iirc....mine was broken when I bought the car in 1988 and I replaced it with something that fitted, and it's been fine ever since!!

It's a pain to get to with the airbox in situ so that has to come off. Ideally carbs as well but not vital. Sounds like I just need to find another bolt. I'm fairly sure this on came with the alternator many moons ago.

Thanks for the offer Neil, I'll hopefully be able to get to it before the weekend but if you wouldn't mind, just in case. Famous last words.

Pete

I can't see this as critical. As a bolt, it can be fitted and removed with the carbs and plenum fitted, iirc....mine was broken when I bought the car in 1988 and I replaced it with something that fitted, and it's been fine ever since!!

It only clears the plenum if its a non-AC car or dry sump. On A/C cars the alt is mounted higher up to allow space for the compressor. Its a total pain and I have spent many minutes wondering about an alternative way of doing it so the alt can be removed without removing the carbs or plenum cover. Not come up with anything though :(

You're correct, however, it takes no more than 20 minutes to remove the Plenum and the backing plate, so its not a contender for the horrific jobs thread.   As mentioned elsewhere, I use grease as a sealant on the 4 carb gaskets and plenum cover.  I must have reused them at least 10 times.    My advice to anyone working on an Esprit is don't be shy of removing stuff to get at what you need to, it saves time and frustration in the long run

I've had no experience of the air con installation....mine being of the unsophisticated variety....and I can just slide the bolt out without dismantling. I will agree with Steve....it's quicker to just get on with it than it is to try to think up some dodge to avoid taking a few bits off!! Grease on the gaskets does make it far less problematic.

If you are installing the alternator with the engine out of the car, don't make the error of putting the long bolt in from the front.....(!)  Or else you won't get it out again, once the engine is fitted...as it biffs the bulkhead before it comes out!

I will agree with Steve....it's quicker to just get on with it than it is to try to think up some dodge to avoid taking a few bits off!! 

You are of course right.

Its just the designer in me wants to do it a better way even if it might take 10 times longer to install than it actually ends up saving!

Andy....me too!! That's one lesson I keep having to re-learn......just get on with it.....

Also, if you haven't got the right tool to hand, it will be quicker to get out from under the car and GET it rather than try to make do with what is within reach....!

• Like 1