free hit
counters
Exhaust swap on a 1988MY Esprit - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Cushing

Exhaust swap on a 1988MY Esprit

Hi guys

I have an exhaust system from a 1996 S4 and it has a CAT, it's allmost new and made from SS. Would this be OK to install in my carbed 1988MY Esprit ? or should I open up the CAT and empty it ?

Steve

post-17533-0-69414500-1417555661.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you do open/empty the cat, you really need to weld a straight pipe inside it to prevent unburned fuel from igniting on over-run.

Don't know if the S4 oxygen sensor is the same either.  Oh Wait, did Euro carb'd Esprits of your vintage even use O2 sensors??

:huh:

Ok, best if I just cut it out then and substitute a piece of pipe, and while I'm about it get the O2 sensor plugged, I don't need it.

Steve

Stephen,

Why do you want to replace it?

88 ET OE exhaust was stainless 3", which is quite adequate.

Edited by MrDangerUS

You can just buy a bolt on ebay to seal off the o2 sensor hole when you have removed it.

Sorry for the confusion, I always think of the S4 car as being the later 93> Thomson design and not the 88 Turbo Stevens design I have.

I had a 1996 S4 accident damaged car and stripped it of parts. I sold the engine and gearbox but kept most of the other bits like brakes,drive-shafts,hubs,exhaust,susspention and seats. Then I end up with a 1988my turbo which needs a full resto and started using these (S4) parts I had lying around just to keep the cost down.

Breaks and hubs etc. were OK, just a bunch os ABS sensors I don't need. Had to use all (S4) hubs due to rear drive shafts and the new (S4) Oz rims.

The exhaust that came off the car was rotten so made since to install new SS from smashed (S4) car, but it's got a KAT and I think I should cut this out as I don't need it on a carbed car.

Both manifold and turbo were cracked and could not be used on the 88 car and as I had sold the (S4) engine I needed to buy these items. I bought the later one piece manifold and standard turbo from SJ Sportscars, that should work just fine. Thought it would be good to install a Electronic Boost Controller, didn't know which one would suit the 88my car.

The suspension from the (S4) car was new so I just installed it, this included the camber adjustable struts at the rear, and since I was rebuilding the suspension I replaced all bushings with Polly. I was a bit worried that I've created a real bastard of a car but won’t know until I take her out for the first time in the spring.

The comfort seats were a must, they are fantastic and I like them.

It's a shame I sold that (S4) engine and gearbox, the car had only covered 40,000km and I now have to rebuild my engine from the bottom up and also the gearbox needs a new diff and input shaft, not going to be cheap.

Regards

Steve

post-17533-0-77984300-1417941467.jpg

post-17533-0-75799700-1417941507.jpg

post-17533-0-18464900-1417941542.jpg

post-17533-0-61473900-1417941588.jpg