free hit
counters
First 500 miles in my Exige S Roadster - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

First 500 miles in my Exige S Roadster

BillTheButcher

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Bear in mind that my Evora was an NA so performance comparisons aren’t very fair! Having said that, I’m very impressed with the Exige’s torque. Even sticking to a 4000rpm running in limit its ability to dispatch slower moving traffic is impressive.

From behind the steering wheel the Exige looks and feels like an Elise. It has the Elise probax sports seats which are fine, but not as comfy as the Evora’s Recaro’s.  Once you start to drive it though, the Elise comparisons end – it feels far more planted on the road than an Elise – more confidence inspiring in much the same way as the Evora does; I guess this is down to the longer wheelbase and increased weight.

Compared to the Evora the Exige feels harsher, noisier, less comfortable and more cramped! As a daily driver, the Evora is a better compromise and if I was continuing to use a Lotus as my every-day car, I would probably have upgraded to an Evora S rather than an Exige S.

The key word above though is “compromise”. The Exige isn’t compromised at all. It focusses on one thing – going fast. And even within the running in restrictions it is clearly very good at it! The Exige IS the more exciting Lotus.

Last year I took the Evora down to the Nurburgring for a track day. It was SUPERB on the journey down – at no point did I feel like I wanted to get out of it. It was then excellent on track, although it did feel a bit like a road car on a track (if you see what I mean). If I do the same trip in the Exige, I’m sure I will be glad to get out of it after 400+ road miles, but I’m equally sure I’ll have even more fun when I get there :B)

With the Evora I never used to get up early on a Sunday morning just to go for a drive. I think I will be doing that in the Exige. On the other hand, the Evora used to make even my daily commute a fun journey, and this element I will miss :cry:

• Like 2

If I do the same trip in the Exige, I’m sure I will be glad to get out of it after 400+ road miles, but I’m equally sure I’ll have even more fun when I get there :B)

I haven't done 400+ in one go but I have done 200+ on consecutive days twice since I got the car. I got out each time feeling fresher than I ever did in any of my other cars (a mixture of Porsches and quick German barges). Considering the nature of the car I honestly can't believe how comfortable the Exige S is on long journeys.

Edited by BillTheButcher

With the Evora I never used to get up early on a Sunday morning just to go for a drive. I think I will be doing that in the Exige. On the other hand, the Evora used to make even my daily commute a fun journey, and this element I will miss :cry:

I've done just over 4000 miles since picking mine up in June, the vast majority of which have been "just popping out for a drive" drives, rather than "proper" journeys! :D

That's about 2/3 of total miles I did in 3 years in the Aston I had before - similar to your Evora, if sounds - if just didn't invite you out for a drive like the Exige does.

Phil. 

Just taken delivery of my new Exige roadster, having traded in my n/a Evora. First impression is its lovely raw power and superb handling, totally different to any other Lotus I have ever owned.

Running in wont be easy, but hopefully cover the 1k miles in a couple of weeks, then off to a track day!

Only issue I face is dealing with the lie I told the wife, that the luggage capacity was similar to the Evora.........

Just taken delivery of my new Exige roadster, having traded in my n/a Evora. First impression is its lovely raw power and superb handling, totally different to any other Lotus I have ever owned.

Running in wont be easy, but hopefully cover the 1k miles in a couple of weeks, then off to a track day!

Only issue I face is dealing with the lie I told the wife, that the luggage capacity was similar to the Evora.........

Congratulations. :)

I didn't check the luggage capacity when I test drove the Evora. I'd already decided I was getting an Exige by then. Is the boot any bigger or do you mean the space inside the cabin?

The Exige's boot is cavernous by Lotus standards but you do lose the capacity of the back seats...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 3 weeks later...

Supercharged cars will benefit from the higher octane fuel :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Mine is on 980 miles now, so by the time I get to the dealership for the aftersales service, will be well into the window for the oil change.

Since I've been putting multiple tanks through the car in a relatively short amount of time to get the mileage up, I've been using 95RON to minimise the hit to the wallet, but will be moving up to 97+ when I get back to my normal usage.

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to picking up my new coupe from dealer at beginning of March.

Are you using normal unleaded fuel or higher octane stuff?

97 every time for me. I haven't tried 95 in the Exige but I've tried a mixture of both in my cars over the years. In all of them (some FI, some NA) I noticed a slight improvement in fuel economy and that the engine was slightly more eager to rev.

This car is the single biggest (non-property) purchase of my life. I'm not going to scrimp on a few quid for a tank of petrol. If the car runs better on super then that's what I'll buy. :)

Edited by BillTheButcher

Since I'm in my first 500 miles, well now more like my first 1000 miles, I wanted to ask your opinions. I over revved the engine the other day during a spirited run where I was finally able to red line it. I was red lining it on 4th gear and as I was shifting to 5th it kind of hit the edge of 3rd and 5th gear and slipping into 3rd. To my horror it went up to a good 8500 RPM and within a second or two I put it in neutral and back into 4th. This was a few days ago, I've been driven it a good extra 60-70 miles since and no issues.

Just curious if you guys know how tolerant are these engines usually when mistakes like these are made? Mechanic in the dealership said these engines can take quite a beating. Im so annoyed at myself! 

I can't answer your question but I did something very similar in mine: mid-overtake, I was in 4th, I went for 5th but I got 3rd. I wasn't redlining it in 4th so mine only flared up to just over 7k but it gave me quite a fright.

I've noticed that 4th to 5th is a bit more notchy than any of the other changes, even when I'm not pressing on. Maybe this is normal or maybe it's something that B&C should have a look at.

I hope yours is OK. :)

Edited by BillTheButcher

I've noticed that 4th to 5th is a bit more notchy than any of the other changes, even when I'm not pressing on. Maybe this is normal or maybe it's something that B&C should have a look at.

Mine used to be notchy going into first/reverse. Had the cables adjusted and it fine now.

I can't answer your question but I did something very similar in mine: mid-overtake, I was in 4th, I went for 5th but I got 3rd. I wasn't redlining it in 4th so mine only flared up to just over 7k but it gave me quite a fright.

I hope yours is OK. :)

Well no immediate damage, I hope it dosnt turn out to be the root problem of something that may arise in the future. I agree with you, 4th to 5th you really have to pay attention and make sure its going into 5th. If 7K RPM gave you a fright 8.5K will give you a heart attack! :P

• Like 1

Mine used to be notchy going into first/reverse. Had the cables adjusted and it fine now.

Good to know. :) It's going back in at some point to have new seat runners fitted (there's too much play in the driver's seat). I'll get them to have a look at the cables then. :)

If 7K RPM gave you a fright 8.5K will give you a heart attack! :P

:shock:  :lol:

Did all the shift lights come on?

I still haven't seen my shift lights light up whilst driving!

I know they're there somewhere...

In my old S2 Exige I'd see them all the time.

I saw them for the first time on the way back from the first service. I went for an overtake (where I'd previously have short-shifted to 3rd) and left it in 2nd. It really starts to sound quite angry when you get up to the top of the rev range.  :hrhr: