free hit
counters
Which Telescope to buy? - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Which Telescope to buy?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My exploration into telescopes was a non-motorised one, it was awful. I managed to see Saturn and a couple of the moons but by the time you found them, they were gone! Make sure you get a tracking one

hahahaha trouble is when you get the time...it will be cloudy!   buddsy

Any joy yet? I enjoy getting mine out in the garden! Anyway I got a solar filter.Any time Ive looked at the sun its always looked like a plane disk but on Thursday sun was clear so I had a look a

Posted Images

Trev, clearly you are uneducated in the wonders of astronomy and need an introduction to the world of telescopes.  Pop over any time and I'll show you mine.  It's quite big.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Trev, clearly you are uneducated in the wonders of astronomy and need an introduction to the world of telescopes.  Pop over any time and I'll show you mine.  It's quite big.

Yeah you'd like that wouldn't you!

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

• 3 years later...

Hard to believe I know but I've not had time to set it up and use it yet.  Life is has been busy.

I have it and I will get round to using it either this Summer or definitely next 

• 9 months later...
On 15/06/2018 at 20:02, Bazza 907 said:

Hard to believe I know but I've not had time to set it up and use it yet.  Life is has been busy.

Any joy yet? I enjoy getting mine out in the garden!

Anyway I got a solar filter.Any time Ive looked at the sun its always looked like a plane disk but on Thursday sun was clear so I had a look and saw a sun spot.

IMG_7938b.jpg

Nothing too exciting I know but still...

buddsy

• Like 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Pretty exciting actually!  We're heading  into a deep solar minimum, and this is the largest spot for some time.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Funny that this topic has popped up. I bought a Celestron NexStar 102 from Costco when I was up there one day.

Got all keen about it and set it up in the backyard one night. Got it all set up and then told the GoTo system to look at a certain object. The telescope was slewing and the eyepiece end of the 'scope ran into the tripod leg. Had to stop the movement get it around the leg and go again.

Anytime I lightly touched the eyepiece, the resulting movement of the 'scope made looking at anything nigh on impossible. There was a slight bit of wind that night as well and that was enough to mess up viewing as well.

I ended up taking the 'scope back. I don't know if all 'scopes have the same issues, but anyway, I started thinking about getting another one about a week ago.

Though I think I will shell out more and I will either go to a shop or catch up with the local astronomy club and ask a gazillion questions.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

12 hours ago, Buddsy said:

Any joy yet? I enjoy getting mine out in the garden!

Short answer is no but I have all the kit.. I will start this summer as I stop work next month. 

• Like 1

Michael, sounds like you were looking for something very high?  Unfortunately the system has no idea of the position of your scope relative to the tripod.  Tripod and mount need to be incredibly stable or viewing will be really difficult.  Unfortunately most scopes come with very poor tripods.  Also, counterweighting the scope is a bit of an art.

1 hour ago, Bazza 907 said:

Short answer is no but I have all the kit.. I will start this summer as I stop work next month. 

Retiring?

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Michael, sounds like you were looking for something very high?  Unfortunately the system has no idea of the position of your scope relative to the tripod.  Tripod and mount need to be incredibly stable or viewing will be really difficult.  Unfortunately most scopes come with very poor tripods.  Also, counterweighting the scope is a bit of an art.

Yeah, the tripod wasn't great. Wasn't counterweighted due to having the GoTo mount.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

8 hours ago, ramjet said:

Anytime I lightly touched the eyepiece, the resulting movement of the 'scope made looking at anything nigh on impossible. There was a slight bit of wind that night as well and that was enough to mess up viewing as well.

Im not sure about the 102 but most telescopes you can't touch when viewing as it vibrates the image. Fine focusing is a bit of an art as you have to adjust a bit then let it settle before you can see if its better or worse.

I think wind affecting must be due to something being loose somewhere?

I've found some useful forums.

http://www.astronomyforum.net/ (Very helpful very technical, very geeky)

https://www.cloudynights.com/index (Very helpful, less geeky more friendly)

https://stargazerslounge.com/ (somewhere between the 2 above)

Going to your local club and see what they are using compared to budget I think is a good idea.

10 minutes ago, ramjet said:

Yeah, the tripod wasn't great. Wasn't counterweighted due to having the GoTo mount.

The goto head is excellent.

Get the free software "Stellarium" and go to youtube and watch a few vids how to use the basics of it.

I use the 2 star align rather than skyalign (on the nexstar hand controller) as it works really well. The Sky tour then works really well taking you to planets and clusters easily.

Also letting the hand controller hang free rather than attached to the scope helps reduce the vibration of the image when trying to adjust the position.  

You only really need a counter weight if you are doing long exposure astrophotography. usually on an equatorial mount.

buddsy

So i decided Im going to sell my Celestron Nexstar 4SE telescope. Its been a really great little scope easily portable and good to use.

In other news Ive sort of acquired an 9" telescope...:huh: Now how did that happen?

buddsy

• Like 1