free hit
counters
1978 Esprit S2 Door & Ignition Key - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

1978 Esprit S2 Door & Ignition Key

Hi,

I am new to the Lotus line and to this forum. I have a basic, maybe even silly question, here it is:

For a 1978 Lotus Esprit S2, did they come with two seperate keys, one for the door and another for the ignition?

I was told that the door key is smaller than the ignition key and therefor there are two different keys, One for the Door, and one for the Ignition.

Would someone be kind enough to clear this up for me.

Thank you.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you are lucky :) i have 4 keys 1 ignition, 1 doors, 1 boot, 1 petrol caps :)

Dodgy

OH, And welcome to the forum Bob:D

say hello in the newbies section, so as we can all get to know you :)

have fun,

Dave

Edited by dodgy154

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

you are lucky :) i have 4 keys 1 ignition, 1 doors, 1 boot, 1 petrol caps :)

Dodgy

OH, And welcome to the forum Bob:D

say hello in the newbies section, so as we can all get to know you :)

have fun,

Dave

Hi and thanks for the fast response. So, just so I am 100% clear, they came from the factory like that? Multiple keys that is?

Thanks

Geez! - let a pre 80 S2 answer! heh heh heh :)

Welcome to the forum - The 79 S2 has a large ignition key and a small door key (both door are key'd alike). No boot or fuel cap key on that model.

When I got my car it only had the ignition key, and for $7.50 I got a key (plus spare) made for the doors.

Hope this helps.

Iain B)

In all honesty S2's are that old by now that you're going to find a variety of different answers by now! Mine has 2 different door keys so a lock must have been replaced at some stage (either theft or broken, who knows?). Some of them DID have locking petrol caps whereas earlier ones I think had the petrol caps secured internally by small chains.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Hello Bob and welcome to forum :)

My car came with 4keys, one for ignition, one for doors, one for fuel cap and that another one I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe it goes to previous owner safety deposit box :):)

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

My 85 S3 Turbo has 3 keys, ignition/door & boot/petrol caps, but the ignition key will open the doors and the door key will fire the ignition :o

That said, I always take all 3 with me, just in case she decides that "today" the door key won't start the car or vice versa :P

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Hi and thanks for the fast response. So, just so I am 100% clear, they came from the factory like that? Multiple keys that is?

Thanks

sorry didnt reply ...... went to bed :P

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Okay, I get the idea. I didn't think there would be so many replies. :D My wife even said to me, "don't you remember back then all the cars had two different keys". :P I guess I just forgot. I am looking at a S2 and the current owner said it is 100% correct and in great shape and he is the second owner. But when he said it took two different keys, I thought HA, I know something was wrong blah blah blah. Maybe he is telling the truth. Thanks for all of the help and I can not wait until I have a real important question. :P

One more stupid question, what's with the two gas filler tubes? One tank or two? Are they connected or independent? :o

Thanks.

Hi Bob,

Original S2s have 1 ignition key and 1 door key. Locking caps were fitted after the S2.

2 petrol tanks, and they are connnected by a SMALL pipe so it's quicker to fill both tanks than to wait for one to feed the other. You'll get used to it!

Welcome to the forum, always great to see another S2! :P

Pete

PS. Ain't no stupid questions here!

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

My 1979 S2 has one key and it fits both the ignition and the door locks.

I needed a copy so I found an exact duplicate with the plastic head at

http://www.triple-c.com

Part Number KB-AA3P

The cost was $5.95 per blank and they worked excellent.

Edited by eprsplit

1979 Lotus Esprit S2