free hit
counters
Good oil filter for 4 cylinder engine - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Good oil filter for 4 cylinder engine

Hi all,

Has anybody found a good oil filter for the 4 cylinder engine? The current "genuine" Lotus ones from Lotus Aftersales are black and have a silver sticker (rather than the older white with green text) are too long and don't have a proper non return valve inside them.

There must be an alternative out there.

Steve 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've encountered the too-long oil filter twice now. Steven is 100% correct in what he is saying; there isn't room to spin the filter on or off because it is so close to the starter.

Mann filters... The mannfilter for our engines is the Mann W712/83. I never used that one so I can not comment it.

I cant understand why all oil filters dont have that hex "nut". Its such a good feature.

Posted Images

There's nothing wrong with that one in truth. The non return valve isn't applicable in a horizontal application anyway.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Except - you have to remove the starter motor to fit it, and the oil drains out once the engine is turned off, and sometime next year Lotus will actually start to supply a filter fit for purpose, and Brian Angus thought it was shit!

Does anybody know of a good filter?

If you don't want the oil to drain out, mount it vertically.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Except - you have to remove the starter motor to fit it, and the oil drains out once the engine is turned off, and sometime next year Lotus will actually start to supply a filter fit for purpose, and Brian Angus thought it was shit!

Does anybody know of a good filter?

I dont know why you need to remove your starter motor?

The oil should not drain back once the engine is switched off as it does have the anti drain back valve fitted.

All in all I think the Lotus one is pretty decent. Still I fitted the K&N one as I think its better still.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Thanks for the helpful responses, I will change the filter for a Mobil or K&N as I am not happy with the Lotus one.

The starter has to be removed because the new genuine filter is longer than the old genuine filter - see (very poor) picture below, there is less than 5mm clearance between the starter and the end of the filter. I queried this with Gary Slattery, he said yes, it is too long, you have to remove the starter motor to fit it, we may get shorter ones next year. Pretty poor service I think.

post-17806-0-97527600-1418378588.jpg

post-17806-0-67957700-1418378789.jpg

Pete at PNM sells a OE filter, which is made by a previous supplier to lotus to their spec, for a tenner! His part #PNME6000

http://www.pnmengineering.com/lotus-engine-parts.html

oilfilta.jpg

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

I have to say I like the K&N stuff. The K&N filter also has a 1" nut welded on the back which makes it easier to remove and I think I bought mine from ebay for about £14.00

Buddsy

I've encountered the too-long oil filter twice now. Steven is 100% correct in what he is saying; there isn't room to spin the filter on or off because it is so close to the starter.

• Like 1

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Theres loads of vids on youtube about what is actually inside these filters.

This vid is a good overveiw of the parts and different quality issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKwmk1RYHpk

I wasnt saying use a Mann filter...might be ok.

I just thought it was an interesting description of the ways they are made and differences between apparently similar filters.

Buddsy 

I have to say I like the K&N stuff. The K&N filter also has a 1" nut welded on the back which makes it easier to remove and I think I bought mine from ebay for about £14.00

Buddsy

I cant understand why all oil filters dont have that hex "nut". Its such a good feature.

• Like 1

Mann filters...

The mannfilter for our engines is the Mann W712/83.

I never used that one so I can not comment it.

Thank you for posting this.  Mann is my favorite filter brand.  I've been using them in Porsches, Mercedes, and VWs for years.  A long time ago, I tried to find the correct one for the 907, and had difficulty, as that filter was not available in the U.S., and due to errors from other manufacturers' cross-references, it was easy to end up with a Mann filter that had the same dimensions but no anti-drain back valve.

If any U.S. people read this, take note of the part number above;  if you go to a European car parts supplier in the U.S., they may have the wrong filter number for Lotus.  The one that Geert posted is correct.   :)

Edited by Tony K

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

For those in the UK with access to Halfords. The HOF202 oil filter fits the 900 series engine. It has the non-return valve in it and is made under license by either Fram or Mahle for about five or 6 quid... Far less for those on trade.

It is fractionally shorter than the original lotus one.

You wouldnt want to use them if they are made by Fram. Do youtube search of fram oil filters.

Buddsy

Just about to....

I do remember a thread in the Fram ones not being so great and as a result someone on another forum cut open the Halfords one and found it to be pretty good quality.

Even though I used to use the Halfords ones in my lotus excel.... I wouldn't since engine rebuild.

I have heard the K&n internals to be of superior construction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I&app=desktop

I get the feeling this guy hates Fram ;)

Ooh- don't like the lack of surface area, propensity to collapse leaving oil unfiltered and general construction...

I knew Fram weren't great but never really looked into it... That is quite shocking.

Edited by Buddsy

You wouldnt want to use them if they are made by Fram. Do youtube search of fram oil filters.

Buddsy

I wasn't going to bring up Fram, but since you did, I'll chime in, too:

There have been at least a handful of incidences (2-3) with 907s in Esprits where the owners used Fram filters and the paper element either collapsed and/or got sucked out and tore up the filter, causing much mayhem.  This was years ago -- late '90s or early 2000s, but things like this can be forgotten and lessons learned can be lost, so it's good to have a reminder!

Edited by Tony K

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Quality may have got better now but who knows? I think as oil filters are really pretty cheap but important I think get the best you can.

Buddsy

• Like 1